Best Practice for putting users or groups in project roles?

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Im going through permission administration and have a question about best practice. I understand that best practice is to create project roles that map to permission schemes to be reused by multiple projects. What i do not understand is whether i should put individual users or groups into project roles. 

Is it better to put the users right into the project roles or create groups for it? A group to me seems to be like an department or similair in an organization. Is it worth creating a group for all members of a certain project?

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

Best practice here is to do what works best for you!

If you have a well maintained directory of people where you can rely on things like "this person moved into my team, so they have been removed from their old team groups and added to mine", then use groups in roles, adding individuals for the outlying cases where the groups let you down.

If your group maintenance is not so hot, or you don't really want to bother with them, use individuals in roles.

Most places I know of use a mix of groups and individuals, there's no real solid good or bad practice I can lead you to without knowing your user access needs.

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

That makes sense! Thank you for the reply! 

Suggest an answer