BIgpicture Portfolio View

Robin Raben March 20, 2020

We have automation set up that creates sub-tasks based on a custom field when we create the parent task. This works great.

However, when I view the big picture portfolio gantt chart, the subtasks show underneath the parent in a random order (or at least I can't tell what the order is based on). Is there a way to have the subtasks show in the same order they appear in the parent task? Or default to order by key? 

I spend a lot of time re-ordering my subtasks, but that only impacts my view, I'd like to make sure my management and other team members see the view with tasks in the correct order also. Therefore having the gantt itself default to a view that makes sense for our use case would be ideal.

I have a screenshot of how I would like to see the order and how BigPIcture defaults the order.BigPictureSubtaskOrder.png

Hope my question makes sense. Thank you for this community.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcin Geb _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 1, 2020

Hello Robin

Thanks for the question.

ad Is there a way to have the subtasks show in the same order they appear in the parent task? Or default to order by key?

You can sort by the Key, or any other field that you've added to your view, be it Story Points, Status, or Team. Just select Data > Organize tasks > Key, as pictured. If that's the order they appear in the parent task, you're there. If not, our Gantt chart currently can't copy that order 1:1.

ad I'd like to make sure my management and other team members see the view with tasks in the correct order also.

We made several tests, and the order you set on your account should be obeyed by other accounts, those of your management and team members. Obviously they need to trigger some type of refresh on their end (moving a task will do the partial refresh most of the time). However, I recently responded to another person, and they, too, claimed other users don't see the order set by the 'master' user. We're checking whether this might be happening at times when the "other" users are read-only, but even if we determine that I would encourage you to send us an email at support@softwareplant.com.

sorting-tasks-on-gantt-chart.png

Robin Raben May 11, 2021

Thank you - very helpful. If I can recreate the differences in views I will send an email.

Suggest an answer