Automation to Add Request Participant from Email field

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2021

I have an automation that I am creating where based on an email address field, it will create a customer - but we also want to then add that customer in the request participant field for the existing issue.  What would be the best way to do this?  This is what I have so far, creating the customer works but not adding the request participant.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 4.06.36 PM.png

{
"update": {
"Request participants" : [
{
"add": {
"id":"{{issue.Email Address}}"
}
}
]
}
}

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2021

Hi @Kristin Lyons 

You appear to be updating (add) the "id" field with an email address, and I believe you instead need that person's account id for the customer you are adding.  Here is the documentation for updating request participant with advanced edit:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/advanced-field-editing-json/#Advancedfieldediting-JSON--Requestparticipants

Kind regards,
Bill

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2021

@Bill SheboyIs there a way to do this without having the ID?  We will be creating the customer's account in the same automation.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2021

Yes, I believe you need to use the accountId value since the GDPR (general data protection regulation) changes went into effect, and...

To be honest, I am not using JSM and my next answer is based on how I believe it works.

With my disclaimer out of the way, the documentation for the action to add a customer says the {{customer}} smart value becomes available after the add completes: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/automation-actions/#Automationactions-Addtruecustomer

You may need to slow down the rule by putting in a Re-fetch action after the customer is created before the smart value is searchable when the rule is running.

Afterwards, you can try the {{customer.accountId}} smart value to make the edit with the JSON.

Suggest an answer