Automation for custom fields in team-managed projects

Crescenzo D_Alessandro June 17, 2022

Can someone confirm that it is not possible to use custom fields in automation actions for team-managed project? I have tried various options but none works, so it appears to me it's a fundamental limitation of the team-managed project. Is that correct?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Can you provide more information about your scenario?

Can you show us the details of your rule?

What is the type of the Custom field you are trying to include?

What are you trying to accomplish with your rule?

I believe the availability of the field is impacted by the type and what you are trying to do. For instance, I created a custom field of type Number, and I was able to create an automation rule that set that custom field when an issue is created.

Crescenzo D_Alessandro June 21, 2022

Hi Trudy,

Thank you for your comment.

Here are the steps:

1. I created a team-managed project

2. In Project settings -> Issue type I have added a custom "People" field to the Task issue type (let's call it "Extras")

3. Now in Project settings -> Automation I create a rule, let's say: "When value changes for Description, send email".

-> At this point in the "To:" field I would expect to see the "Extras" field I have created, but it's not there, and I don't see any way to access that field.

Notice that the fields created for company-managed projects are indeed there as expected in the automation form, and for those types of projects I can happily set automations using the custom fields. However what is even more confusing is that although I can see the fields int he automation form, I don't seem to be able to access custom fields from company-managed projects in team-managed projects even if I set the scope to everything (I can see the same custom fields in company-managed projects), so the automation form is showing me fields I cannot access!

Am I doing something wrong? I have tried to do the same as you are describing, but I still don't see the Number field I created, and I don't see how it would work, as the more I look at this in other comments the more I conclude the team-managed projects don't allow you to do this.

All the best,

Enzo

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

It appears that the People field specifically is not available for use in the Team Managed project Automations, based on this info that I found.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22784

Are you working with a Business/Work Management project, a Software project, or a Service Management project?

Crescenzo D_Alessandro June 21, 2022

It's a Software project.

You are right about the other fields: I have re-loaded the page and indeed I can see other fields, but not the "People" fields.

I will try the link you sent me, thank you for that!

All the best,

Enzo

Crescenzo D_Alessandro June 22, 2022

It's more and more confusing....

Following your link I have been able to copy a value from a non-custom field to a custom field. Now I have just noticed that I am unable to do the opposite - copy a value from a custom People field to a non-custom field!!!!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events