Automation documentation & Pull request created tags

boris.lapouga June 10, 2020

Hi,

Since Codebarrel became Atlassian the product or more specifically its documentation is utterly useless. From a great startup documentation they transformed it into enterprise boilerplate water, also removing the precious references to each action / variable available to you, which I think is very short-sighted, but they don't care right.

Sorry for ranting, I used to enjoy Automation for JIRA product before. 

Good people, can anyone help me to understand, what variable should I use when I'm trying to create automation for "Pull request created" that will give me the information of pull request?

Before the merge of the companies it was {{webhookData}} as we had to explicitly send that information, now I see it became a part of the system, but no (or easily searchable) documentation is available.

Project automation - Jira 2020-06-10 18-55-14.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2020

Hi @boris.lapouga -- Welcome to the Atlassian community!

The only two attributes I see in the "new" version of the smart value documentation are Title and URLhttps://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-development/

You could also follow these instructions to do a REST API call for an example issue lookup, and see what other attributes might be available with pullrequest:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/

Best regards,

Bill

boris.lapouga June 11, 2020

Thanks a lot Bill, appreciate it!

2 votes
Yvan Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2020

Hi there @boris.lapouga,

Developer from Automation here.

I understand your frustration with the move from our old docs to the ones provided by Atlassian, there are a number of ongoing discussions around this and we'd like them to provide the same discoverability we had on the old ones. 

Yeah as @William Sheboy mentioned the only documented fields on {{pullRequest}} are url and title. There are also a few more such as state and id, but those are still under development and thus subject to change.

I've reached out to get more of those values finalised, and when they are locked in we'll add them to the docs mentioned above. In the meantime you can try searching for fields in the API mentioned by Bill.

boris.lapouga June 11, 2020

Thanks for the response Yvan, even though you are Atlassian member now, I believe startup spirit still lives in you, it would be awesome if the documentation of this product would be much more available and discoverable as you said, I hope to see it back one day!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2020

Hi @Yvan Martin 

Thanks for the info, and topic switch, kind of: where can we find more documentation on the automation functions and smart values, as Boris asked earlier?

Here's an example post that I tried to get help from the community as the docs do not seem to match the behavior:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/JIRA-automation-and-a-working-example-of-the-Split-function-for/qaq-p/1395718

Thanks!

Yvan Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2020

Hi there @Bill

You'll find that in the smart values section on text fields here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-text-fields/. There are also other smart value sections on the right page navigation once on that page.

To get there from the main support page you'll need to click the link "Advance your rules with smart values", then select "Smart values - text fields".

Also if you wanted to access the variables after calling split, they are treated as a list, and you'll need to use a function such as first(), last(), and get() see: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-lists/

Hope that helps.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2020

Hi @Yvan Martin 

Thanks for explaining that, it helps, and...I think you are confirming the point: you had to explain how the function works as the documentation for split() and other functions is incomplete/inaccurate. 

The references for further explanation on the text function page points to Oracle documentation, which although interesting, does not explain function usage. Perhaps a revisit of the documentation ported form Code Barrel to Atlassian could help.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Bill

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS