Automation - How to copy field from linked issue when issue is linked

Rich Johnson September 1, 2022

For clarification, I have Jira Cloud. I am trying to create an automation that copies a custom field called "Relative Control Weighting (1-10)" (customfield_10059) from the linked issue into a different custom field called "Control Weighting Score" (customfield_10079) in the current issue.

The source field is a Dropdown type. The destination field is a text type (since I found you cannot do this on a dropdown type)

After reading up on this link, I have:

When: Issue Linked - Type: Related to

Then: Edit issue field - Advanced

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10079": "{{issue.issuelinks.inwardIssue.customfield_10059}}"
}
}

The automation runs, but does not copy the source field to the destination field. In fact, I see nothing has changed. The audit logs show SUCCESS:

Edit issue
Issues edited successfully
ESS-209

Which is weird because ESS-209 is the issue that I am linking, and from which I want to copy the custom field. So it should not be editing ESS-209.

EDIT:

I have also tried using:

{
"fields": {
"Control Weighting Score": "123"
}
}

just to try to statically set the value to 123, but it does nothing.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rich Johnson September 1, 2022

I figured it out!

My problem was I was attempting to update the issue that I was linking, rather than the issue on which I was creating the link.

Solution:

When: Issue linked, Type: Relates

For Linked issued: Types: Relates

Then: Edit issue fields...

CHILUMKURU December 29, 2022

Hi Rich,

I hope you are doing good.

I am also working on the similar automation requirement, can you please share your automation rules set so that I can reuse maximum and customize further to full-fill my requirement.

Thanks for your support.

Like Sindhu likes this
0 votes
Deniz Yalçıntepe April 25, 2023

Hi @Rich Johnson ,

Can you share a screenshot of the automation if you still have it? I have the same problem. But I couldn't do it.

Bests,

Deniz.

Holly Schomann April 27, 2023

I am having the same issue. Does anyone else have more specifics on how to resolve this?

Rich Johnson April 27, 2023

@Deniz Yalçıntepe @Holly Schomann 

The rule has changed slightly from when I first created it. I changed "relates" to a new custom verb "satisfies". Other than that it should be essentially the same rule. I added several custom fields I needed copied, but it all works. Note in the second screenshot I had to do both verbs "satisfies" & "is satisfied by". I can't remember if I did both and just never removed one, or if they are both indeed needed. Hope it helps.

Screenshots Here

Like Holly Schomann likes this
Holly Schomann May 1, 2023

Thank you so much for your reply!

Sindhu September 25, 2023

@Rich Johnson  iam having the same issue, its updating the issue i am linking. not sure what is wrong. 

AUTOMATION2.png
AUTOMATION.png

Sindhu September 25, 2023

@Rich Johnson  issue fixed anyways. :D 

but want to know if there is any change in smart values,  with field getting updated. i am trying to copy from a check box to a text field. 

is there a smart value change?

Suggest an answer