Automation For Jira is not working for removing Bulk watchers

Rajesh Konda July 29, 2021

Hi Team,

I have requirement to remove a user from watcher list from a bulk of ticket's. Created a automation and selected schedule event then under new rule choose manage watchers and placed user name under remove user field and saved the automation. when i click on run rule it showing rule was success but user still visible on watcher list. can you please help me out how to resolve the issue. Thanks29-07.PNG

Automation works if we check "Remove all existing watchers", but not working for a single user.

Regards,
Rajesh

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2021

Hi @Rajesh Konda 

If you open up the issue the rule says it changed and check the history, what does it show about the change?

Best regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy  Thanks for the response, Yes i have checked same but no changes are displayed on ticket.   

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Interesting... I just checked a company-managed and a team-managed project, and changes to watchers no longer appear in the history.  I am fairly certain this is a change in behavior.  Regardless of that...

I recreated your rule in a team-managed project (next-gen) and it worked for me to delete a specifically named watcher, and leaving the rule actor as Automation for Jira.  I believe changing watchers for team-managed projects requires at least project admin permission.

My JQL for the scheduled rule checked:

project = myProject AND watchers > 0

What JQL are you using, and who is the rule actor?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2022

Hi @Rajesh Konda 

Just following up to ask if this is a team-managed project.  If so, it appears that only project-admin (or higher) permissions can remove the watcher at this time: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18480  I did not notice this in my test as my permissions were site admin.

If you have at least project admin permission, consider changing the rule actor to yourself and see how that helps.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Rajesh Konda June 2, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy  No, it was a Next-Gen project. I created the automation and the actor, owner both are on my name, and I have full access to the instance as I'm the Organization Administrator. I'm not sure what the problem was last year, but it didn't function. However, it is now working tested few min back on next-generation, team-manager, and company-managed projects. Perhaps there was a Glitch at the moment. Thank you very much for your help and support.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2022

I am glad it is working now.

FYI that "next-gen" projects are now called "team-managed" and the "classic" ones are "company-managed".  I try searching for both old/new names when looking for posts, defects, etc. to find answers.  Thanks!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

Hi @Rajesh Konda  - Did you ever get this to work?

Rajesh Konda May 31, 2022

Nope @John Funk , Removed user manually from tickets. Never tried later

0 votes
Claudio Gonzalez
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2021

Hi Rajesh. 

First you need verified who execute the rule, and after you need check the "Permission Scheme". 

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 17.17.18.png

without permission may be cannot remove the watchers.

Hi @Claudio Gonzalez  Thanks for info, I felt same but the automation was written on Next-Gen project. Don't know where to check the permission, on access tab i have given admin rights to my email and over automation changed actor as my email then too it is not working.  I think if issue relates to permission then it would have thrown an error but here automation showing as success. Exactly don't know what could be the issue can you please suggest any alternate way to remove user. Thanks 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events