Automation - Create multiple issues based on variable checkbox values

Zac June 16, 2022

I'm attempting to automate the creation of a set of linked issues based on values selected in a checkbox (which is only editable in a workflow transition). Automation rule is setup per following:

Snag_80a4872c.png

Snag_80a51fa3.png

When value changes for Checkbox Field "CSM Project type"

Issue fields condition CSM Project Type contains any of "Value 1"

Then: Clone issue with Summary = ABC

Then: Clone issue with Summary = DEF

Issue fields condition CSM Project Type contains any of "Value 2"

Then: Clone issue with Summary = GHI

Issue fields condition CSM Project Type contains any of "Value 3"

Then: Clone issue with Summary = JKL

etc...

Branch rule - All Created Issues

> Edit Issues

Copy other custom fields from 'master' ticket and set the request types

The rule runs fine and as expected when all values are set in the checkboxes.

However, when one is left out, it stops running the remaining issue fields conditions checks and doesn't run my branch rule. In the above example, if Value 2 isn't set, the Value 3 actions aren't ran.

I tried If/Else conditions at one point but it doesn't suit my needs - I would need to write an excessive amount of "New Action" components to cover every possible combination of the checkboxes.

Is there something obvious I'm missing that will allow all condition checks & asssociated actions to run, without creating conditions for every possible combination of the checkbox values?

Thanks in advance,

Zac

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2022

Hi @Zac 

How many values/conditions do you need to check?  (i.e. the number of cases leading to cloning issues)

For a "simple" rule, I suspect that you would need nearly the same number of rule components, regardless of how you implement this: branch on current issue/JQL or if/else conditions.

And FYI: there is a 60 component limit for a rule, so check your math to learn if the rule is even possible.  For example looking at the rule you posted, you could have a maximum of 27 cases.

Another way to solve this would be to use advanced branching and iterate on the cases, stored in a smart value, and then edit your created issue fields, one at a time, within the branch.  The limit for that path would be 100 cases.  Please take a look at this article if you want to try that approach: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Branching-over-smart-values-in-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1741935

However you choose to solve this, this sounds like a potentially long running rule, and so could fail if it runs often enough to trigger an SLA limit for automation (e.g. processing time per hour)

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Gus Higgins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 17, 2022

Try branches 🙂

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events