Automation Audit Log Shows Successful but Dates Fields are Blank

Susan Hamilton October 28, 2020

I created a few automation rules to complete custom date fields when the issue is transitioned from one status to the next.  For example input the field Ticket Start Date when the issue is transitioned from Ready to In Progress.

The audit log shows successful but there is no date in the field.  I pulled a report and no date in the report either.  Any ideas why it's showing successful but the data isn't populating?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2020

Hi @Susan Hamilton 

Can you please share few screenshots?
show what you are trying to do in the automation that does not work for you, what is written in the log?
also please make sure and let me know, if the field you are trying to update is "date" or "date & time"?

Susan Hamilton October 28, 2020

Thanks so much for looking at this.  I'm using the date and time option.  I'm attaching copies of the rules, a copy of the log and a shot of the fields in the story that are blank.business req rule.PNGempty fields on story.PNGticket end rule.PNGticket start rule.PNGlog.PNG

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2020

Hi @Susan Hamilton 

Thank you for the screenshots, can you please also, go inside the edit field action and take screenshot?
i want to see what you put there.

Also, add a "log" action, with the same value you try to put in the edit action, so we will see what it prints (also send a screenshot of the log action.

Thanks.

Susan Hamilton October 29, 2020

So I wasn't 100% sure how to add the log action like you indicated but I searched and added it as seen in the screenshots but then nothing populated in the log so perhaps I did it wrong.  Any insight into how to do the log action more effectively is appreciated.  Attached are the pictures.business req.PNGdev end.PNGticket and dev start dates.PNGticket end in progress.PNGticket end ready for release.PNGlog.PNG

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2020

Hi @Susan Hamilton 

This is the log action i meant image_2020-10-29_165110.png

Also, in all your screenshots, the date fields are empty, you didn't put any value in the fields...

I did the log action but it wanted me to indicate what action.  So I put this code from the smart values... is that wrong?

{{[date].[dateformat]}}

log action.PNGI want it to put the date that the transition happens in.. not a specific date.  That's why I didn't put a date in the field.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2020

You have to put a value in the fields.

The fields expect a value, if you leave it empty, than the automation will set the fields to be empty, because that's the value you set for them.

Just write in your fields (in the automation) and in the log too {{now}} as the first example in the documentations:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/smart-values-date-and-time-functions/

The smart value {{now}} will set your dates field with the current date & time the automation triggers, which is the time when the transition made (this is what you wanted)

Okay let me try that.  For the log action what value should I put in there or was the smart value I used accurate?

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2020

use the same thing for the log {{now}}

That worked... thank you so much for the help!

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2020

Happy to assist :)

Please mark my post as the answer.

So this issue will be marked as solved.

0 votes
Nandhini kandan February 8, 2021

Hi Nir Haimov,

I need to auto assign request to users. Audit log shows success but no action performed in ticket. Is is not updating assignee. could you please help

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

Hi @Nandhini kandan ,

Please open new question and tag me, i will help you with pleasure, it will be easy to track new question with new relevant topic.

Also, in the new question, please add screenshots with what you did so far.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events