Automating Workflows in Jira

Fr0zt March 7, 2018

Hello.

I am new in Jira and I am still studying it's features.

I've been working around with workflows and I have some doubts.

Lets say I have a workflow and I export it.

In another JIRa I will import it, and add it to an existing Project.

I«ve noticed that when I do that Jira asks me which new state (in the new workflow) is equivalent to the old state (in the old workflow).

My question is this: Let's say I have 1000 issues in that project. I will have to make the decision for each of those issues.

Is there a way to automate that process? To make it faster. So that I don't have to stay hours to select each state from each issue and assign it to the new one...

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2018

Inaccurate description of problem, and answered on the duplicate at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Publish-Workflows/qaq-p/750390#U751307

0 votes
Nicolas Werle _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2018

Hi @Fr0zt,

if you use a new workflow, you can choose which new state will replace the old state. 

After choosing, this process will run automatically.

You can read more about it here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/activating-workflow-720412579.html

Best, 

Nic

Fr0zt March 12, 2018

I understand that but let's say you have a worflow with 5 states. And you add a new one with 3 states.

After that you choose to apply it to all issues, and publish it.

You will get a "table" where you will have to choose, for every issue type, which will be the compatible state (in the new workflow). If you have let's say, 20 issue types, you will have a lot of choosing to do (see the image in attachment).

workflows.pngIs there a better way to automate this? Scripting or other thing to make it faster...

Fr0zt March 12, 2018

?