Automatically move a task to a sprint based on due date

yuliia.soury December 21, 2021

Hi!

We plan sprints way ahead and I would love to have an automation that will move a task to appropriate sprint based on due date. 

For example, we have Sprint A (from 1 of Nov till 14th of Nov) and I have created a task with a due date 10th of Nov. It is possible to have an automation to modify the sprint field to Sprint A if the due date is in the timeframe of the sprint?

Thank you in advance! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

Hi @yuliia.soury 

Are you using Jira Cloud with the Standard or the Premium license?  If you are using Premium, there may be something in advanced roadmaps to help with this.

For Standard license, what you ask may be possible with an automation rule, although it would be a bit slow to run and a bit complicated to maintain.  Essentially it would need to:

A risk for this rule is it circumvents the scrum framework idea of planning, where the team evaluates the goal and the work to achieve it.  Thus you need to figure out a way for the rule to not make changes if the team has places issues in a sprint and then changed the due date later.

Kind regards,
Bill

yuliia.soury December 22, 2021

Thank you Bill!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Chris Morgan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2022

Adding some detail for this as the list filtering isn't straight forward - you need to use Advanced Branching in order to have both issue date and sprint date values in scope at same time. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Branching-over-smart-values-in-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1741935 

Background: in my team we have non-negotiable recurring tasks that we have automated ticket creation for (all on different cadences, creating new ticket due in X weeks when current ticket goes to done). So we have used an automation that basically follows Bill's suggestion above to put these into the correct future sprint to save time during sprint planning.

The steps in our rule:

• when: due date changed
  • send web request (get list of all sprints)
  • Advanced Branching - for each {{webResponse.body.values}} variable="sprint"
  • multiple If conditions matching issue.dueDate against sprint.startDate and endDate
  • edit field - update sprint using sprint.id
  • record to audit log
Like # people like this
Dmitry Alabyan March 8, 2023

@Chris Morgan could you please reach out to me on your solution. Not quite getting the part with the web request. Would really love the same automation to happen

Suggest an answer