Automatically add watcher when moving issue from ServiceDesk to a Project

Derrick Robinson November 20, 2019

Using Jira Software and Jira Service Desk both from Cloud.

I've more or less got the Service Desk working the way we want. In certain cases we need a Service Desk Agent to Move new support issues from the Dervice Desk into another project.

I've managed to get the Move Issue to work as expected, but would like to automatically add the Reporter as a watcher to the issue that's being moved, so that they know it's been moved and can keep up to date with its status, etc.

I've been reviewing the settings, but just can't work it out.

I'm sure (/hoping) that this can be done and would really appreciate any help.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

Hi Derrick,

if it were me I would take a different tact. Rather than moving the issue I would create a linked issue in the JSW project. Then I would setup automation to 'follow' the dev issue so that when the dev issue closes the JSD issue moves to resolved as well. There are a lot f threads on this in the Community and here is an article that might prove useful - best-practices-for-collaborating-with-other-jira-products 

The reason why I suggest this is that it maintains the connection w/ the Customer (reporter) and allows the agent to interface w/ the customer directly w/o making the customer a user in JSW.

Derrick Robinson November 28, 2019

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your advice of creating a linked issue and automation, which as you say maintains the connection w/ the reporter, but I now have a number of new concerns/problems that I'm struggling to overcome:

1. The number of steps the JSD Agent has to go through when triaging the issue from JSD to create a linked issue, which I'm trying to minimise to the absolute minimum. i.e. at the moment the Agent has to go through a minimum of 6 steps: click 'Link Issue', then 'Create Linked Issue', then select the target 'Project', then select the target 'Issue Type', then check all the details are correct, and finally click 'Create'.

Ideally, I'd like to automate all of those steps so the Agent simply clicks one button to create the linked issue. Especially, since all the JSD issues are being linked to a single JSW project, and single Issue Type.

2. Automatically providing the linked issue to the reporter, so they know what's going on at every step. Ideally I like to have a notification sent to the reporter when a linked issue is created for their JSD issue.

3. Displaying the linked issue (number and link) on the customer's portal view.

I really appreciate your help and any advice you may have.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2019

Consider using Automation for Jira or similar. Use a unique status and when the agent transitions the issue to that status the linked issue is created. You cannot display the linked issue on the portal and even if you could the customer would not be able to access unless they were a user in JSW.

Derrick Robinson December 1, 2019

Of course! It's been just over four years since I first went on the Admin 1 & 2 courses implemented JSD and having moved on to other work hadn't touched Jira since Dec 2016  - hence I'm more than a bit rusty and I totally forgot that JSD customers are considered 'free' users of the system and that we pay for Agents, meaning that if we were to allow those customers to access JSW that we'd then have to pay for them as users of JSW - correct?

Is there any way I could provide JSD users a read only view of the linked JSW issue?

I found this issue, but m wondering if we'd still have to pay for those Read Only Users?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-cloud-how-to-create-a-read-only-user-779160729.html

Basically trying to give as much info back to the users, so they don't have to keep asking us.

I really appreciate your help Jack.

Suggest an answer