Automatic update of a new field based on values in another field

Mahesh Achar March 28, 2019

Trying to implement a requirement where if a field gets updated with the value automatically based on existing data in other fields.

For example, lets say there are 2 fields Field A, B,.

A is a standard field and B is Custom field

I need to set B to value based on value of A

Like if A = 1 Set B = 100

if  A = 2 Set B =100

If A= 3 Set B =200 etc..

Any idea how this  can be done in JIRA Cloud?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2019

Hello Mahesh,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Are you expecting the field B to update as soon as you add the value to the field A or after you finish the field edit?

Unfortunately, JIRA does not have this feature natively, however, you can use Automation for JIRA add-on to achieve it. You just need to create the following rule.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 18.43.35.png

With the rule above, the field will be automatically updated after the edit is finished and will replace any possible value manually added during the issue edit in the Field B.

P.S: I used the field Application as field A and Begin Date as field B.

Let us know if this information helps.

Soumya Djefel October 14, 2020

Hi Petter,

Thank you for this method.
I implemented it today and that's work very well.

I would like to run this automatic rule only once for a list of tickets, to put value FieldA on FieldB. Do you know-how could do that?

Thanks.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2020

Hello @Soumya Djefel

You can ensure the rule runs only once for your issues by adding a custom field to identify those issues and create a condition in your automation rule. These would be the exact steps:

1. Create a custom field to identify the issues that were already updated by the rule. This can be a text field.
  2. Keep the field hidden on your project screens, so users can not edit or see it
  3. Create the following automation rule, blocking the rule if it is running for the second time, and editing the custom field with the value if this is the first time:

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 13.52.03.png

Let us know if you have any questions.

Like # people like this
Tony Marthaler October 20, 2022

Anyway to automatically copy a value from one field into another instead of manually editing it when that happens.  Want this to be transparent to the user.

Suggest an answer