Automatic Sprint Completion and Creation

Aaron July 22, 2020

Using the Automation Features within Jira. Is there a way to automatically close a sprint at the end date and create a new sprint of the same duration and lastly. Move all open issues to the newly created sprint.

3 answers

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2020

Hi @Aaron 

Short answer, there is no built-in, out of the box JIRA feature to automatically start/close sprints in the Cloud version.

There is a suggestion to add this capability, which you can review and vote for here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20563

I did not see a way to automatically start/close a sprint on either the marketplace or using the REST API.  There may be a way to do this using scripting add-ons.  If interested on this route, please try a search on that approach.

Best regards,

Bill

richard.n.pykkonen May 24, 2021

Bill, how are you?  Long time no see.  I have someone that wants to automatically create all sprints for all teams through automation.  They are moving over from a different platform and are used to this feature.  They want all Scrum teams to have the same sprint number and to start and end of the same day.  Sounds like I need to do some looking around.  

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2021

Hi, Rick!  I'm well, and thanks for asking.

Are you on cloud or server/data center?  And if cloud, which version: free, standard, premium, etc.?  Regarding automatic sprint scheduling/management...

• There are some posts in this community forum about how to automate these on server/data center using scripting add-ons from the marketplace
  • I believe there are some built-in capabilities for the cloud premium edition's advanced roadmap, although I do not know the details on that
  • For cloud, non-premium editions, sprints would need to be created and started at a project level.  It is not yet possible to do this with automation rules (suggestion to do so here

Best regards,

Bill

Jerry Laster _Divim_ Inc__
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 23, 2021

Edit: wrong thread

0 votes
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 21, 2021

Hi,

We just released Sprint automation for Jira to start and stop sprints automatically. Please check it out at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1225720.

Try it free for one month, and please give us feedback about features, functionality, and pricing. 

Happy to support the community!

Jerry

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2021

Hi @Jerry Laster _Divim_ Inc__ 

As you suggest your vendor's products to the community, please consider updating your user name to include your company information, as described in the community guidelines for marketplace and solution providers:

Identify yourself as a partner: Make sure the user is aware you are affiliated with a partner company; for example, by placing the name of your company in your user name in {curly brackets} or -dashes- (note that regular brackets no longer work and have been automatically converted to dashes). If you are mentioning your own products or services, make sure you include wording to make it clear that you are affiliated with the company providing those products or services.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Atlassian-Community-online-guidelines-for-Marketplace-and/ba-p/689723

Thanks, and best regards,
Bill

Like Abbey Ortlieb likes this
Marketplace Partner
July 23, 2021

Thanks Bill. I thought that was the case. I see my info as 

Full nameJerry Laster [Divim, Inc.]AnyonePublic nameJerry Laster [Divim, Inc.]Anyone

But it may not have been updated. 

I made sure to make clear that this is not "some app" but an app we created because I have no interest in being deceptive. 

Thanks!

Jerry 

Like # people like this
0 votes
JD
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2020

Hi Aaron,

We don't have an action available for closing/opening sprints in Jira automation. There is a public ticket tracking this feature request here: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-704

Cheers,
John

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events