Automate based on country

Will_y_ De Vos May 17, 2022

Hi community,

I was wondering if I could build an automation rule that handles tickets coming from a specific region, country?

We have several customers that are located in different parts of the world. I have already an automation rule in place that ads the organisation based on the 'domain' BUT the problem here is that all countries have the same domain (eg. "xxx.com") hence I cannot differentiate based on that field.

What I want to accomplish is the following:

1. Certain tickets coming from certain regions/countries need to come in a different queue (low or high priority) and should therefore have a different SLA.
    • I have found an example that filters on the field 'country' but apparently this field is not known?

country.png

Thanks for the push in the right direction!

Greetz,

Will

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

The first question is how are you storing the country in Jira?

If you want to automate something based on data, Jira has to have that data to work with.

Will_y_ De Vos May 19, 2022

ahhhaaa...good question Nic ;-)

How can we store the country would then be the most obvious question? Maybe based on the organization? The domain extension?

Thanks for guiding me in the proper direction.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

Yes, now that's a good question, to which the answer is "what do you want to actually do with it?".  To that, "grouping issues together in a report or finding issues based on country" are the usual answer, but "use it in an automation", as you are is a very good answer.

I'd like to check that the country, wherever it comes from, is most useful to you as a field on an issue (that's how you're trying to use it in your Automation - "if the country stored on the current issue is X, do Y")

If that's right, then the simplest answer is "add a custom field to hold the country" - but that then begs the question of "where do we get it from?", which I think is the crux of your original question.

A simple custom field requires that the person entering the issue or request enters it themselves, which makes it easy to get duff data (number of times I've told people I'm in the USA or UAE instead of the UK... grr).  So it would be better if we could base it on something else.

For users, we might have access to some data about them, but I suspect this is limited on Cloud - the cleverest one I saw was a script that nipped into the LDAP directory, read a field off the reporter's account and put it into a scripted field - that meant the field was always right, even when the attribute (office, country, phone, whatever) changed.  But I don't think that can be done on Cloud.

You could do something like have a list of users (a people project with one issue per person) with their countries listed in a field, which you use in an Automation to copy to the issue, but that fields clumsy and you'd have to maintain it.

For service desk, I think your idea of looking at organisation instead might be best.  You could automate "organisation X means we put country Y into the country field", but actually, it might be better to use organisation directly.  Change your Automation to look at organisation instead of country.

Like Will_y_ De Vos likes this
Will_y_ De Vos May 20, 2022

Thanks for your feedback Nick.

It's indeed a Service Desk thing that I want to accomplish like mentioned, so the idea to look at the organisation is probably the way to go...however here a problem occurred.

We build up the organisation field based on the reporter's domain. Eg. xx@onyx.be means the organisation would be Onyx.be and the reporter is automatically added to that organization.

But...this setup fails big time when we have clients that are scattered around the world (different continents) and all have that same domain. In those cases, I cannot automate that tickets that are coming from Australia should be coming in another queue than the ones that are coming from the USA or Europe.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events