Assigning Subtasks in bulk to JIRA issues?

I'd like to assign a subtask to a group of issues. I looked at the Edit Issues function of the Bulk Action feature. However, subtasks aren't one of the options offered. Is there a way to assign a subtask in bulk or did I need to assign it to each issue separately?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

I might be misreading this question, but I think you're looking for the ability to bulk-change the parent issue of batches of subtasks?

If so, then I'm afraid bulk-edit does not support this at all, there's no way to mass-change the parent issues.

Hi Nic, I'm looking to associate a child subtask in bulk to a group of (soon to be) parent issues. I need a whole set of issues to all be associated with the same subtask

Ah, I did misunderstand the question, sorry.

I'm afraid this is a non-starter as well. A child issue belongs to one single parent. You can't create a subtask with more than one parent (a parent can have many children though).

The best you can do is have the parent/child singleton link, and then use issue linking to link the child to the other issues you need it to relate to. You won't get any parent/child functionality out of that, but at least it will be visible. However, I'm afraid bulk-edit won't let you link en-masse either

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

346 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you