Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Assign request type to sub-task

My project on Jira is structured based on parent and child tickets and we recently found out that in order to have the automations working smoothly (i.e. update child tickets' fields whenever the parent is updated), they had to have a subtask relationship. So we created the subtasks, however, I'm not finding a way to associate request types to these subtasks.

I searched on the Atlassian community/support and found this ticket that's been sitting since 2018 about this issue: Currently in Jira Service Management it is not possible to assign any request type to sub-task therefore sub-task is not visible for customer and customer can't receive any notification when sub-task is updated.

Does anyone know if this was fixed or if there's any work around?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader May 30, 2022

Hi @Marina Leme ,

Sub-tasks are designed to be used to split up the work for the person handling the ticket and thus not to be made available/visible towards the end user/customer.

If you need to have a way to do Parent > Child you might want to look at linked issues instead. Linked issues are regular issues but with a specific relationship towards another issue so those can have a Request Type.

A true Parent<>Child relation as we know it within other ITSM tools doesn't really exist within JSM so your best bet is to use Linked Issues.

Got it! We already use linked issues - I thought that this would work best since we use an automation to update child issues according to parent ticket data but this does not have since they don't have an actual child <> parent relation.

But understood and thank you for answering :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you