Asking user to fill out a custom field on assigning to self

There is a custom field on our issues. I'd like users to fill out that field when they assign the issue to themselves. I.e. when they assign issues to themselves (but not to others) JIRA should ask them to give a value to this custom field. Without this custom field being filled they should be able to assign the issue to themselves.

Is this possible with JIRA OnDemand?

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi,

I think that there are 3 ways to do this:

1. Develop a plugin using java which extends the assign issue action.

1.1.    Develop a class which extend Assign Issue action

1.2.    Customize the jsp file in jira home directory, in cloud version I think that we cannot do this.

2.    Develop your plugin “My Assign Issue operation” using java which

2.1.    Develop a webwork action class.

2.2.    Develop you screen using velocity.

3.    Create a global transition “My assign Transition”

3.1.    Create a customized screen and add field assign and the customize field

3.2.    Use a scripting plugin in validator and post function to check and do what do you need

Look this links it can help you to do what do you need  in the third way

Global transitions

Script Runner

Jira Scripting Suite

Thank you but as far as I understand neither one of these can be applied on OnDemand, our version, due the installation of plugins and scripting prohibited.

Nevertheless #3 could work without validation (what is acceptable still), I'll try and report back.

I ended up adding a screen to the To Do -> In Progress transition. Thanks for the help. I may also add validators for my fields to be required just on this screen.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,887 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot