It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Archiving a project in JIRA Cloud

Deleted user Sep 20, 2018

Hi, I am trying to archive/hide a project that has finished in JIRA Cloud and any documentation I find to action this is void as there are elements of the instructions provided that I can not follow as I do not see the areas that they are guiding me to? I have full permissions

Any help would be much appreciated!

20 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Jackson Atlassian Team yesterday

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your support for this feature and patience as we prioritise all the needs and requests for Jira Software. The voice for this feature has been somewhat muted as demand has been spread across a number of different JAC tickets.

As many have mentioned, Project (and Issue) Archiving has been shipped to our Data Centre product.

I am happy to say we are bringing this into Jira Software and Service Desk Cloud initially as part of our new Premium offering. We will start with Project Archiving and look at Issue Archiving in a subsequent milestone.

This was announced recently as part of our new public roadmap and our What’s New in Jira webinar. Both of these resources showcase what’s new and what's planned for Jira Software.

The existing permissions based option will continue to exist (nothing changes there).

Whilst I understand there may be some frustration that this is a Premium feature, it is part of a broader package of Premium Admin features which we have a team allocated to now. In the case of Archiving like many things on the surface this feature seems simple but there are actually many touch points across the product that need to be addressed to ensure it works correctly which has contributed to this not being tackled until now.

We are also investigating a ‘project recycle bin’ to stop accidental deletions which we would be making available in Standard edition.

We will reach soon out to ask for your feedback on additional use cases around Auditing and compliance for Archived Projects and issues and as part of that work we may define requirements that will ship to Standard and Premium.

Thanks,
Ben Jackson & Ritesh Ranjan
Jira Software Product Managers

Really disappointed and can't even begin to understand why the ability to archive a project has been removed???   Adjusting the permission scheme is an option but it's a work around. 

Ben Jackson Atlassian Team yesterday

Hi Sean this capability hasn't existed in Cloud apart from the published permission workaround.

It has been implemented in the Data Centre product and we are about to start work on bringing it to cloud (See my answer below)

Like Dario likes this

How do we request this feature for Jira Cloud? I am creating projects quickly and the permissions scheme workaround is not preferred. 

Looks like there's at least one ticket open for this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17064

Maybe more votes would help.

Not much more I can add as everyone else has touched on the issues of this not being a feature of the cloud version.

The only thing I did not see mentioned is that some of us MUST keep old projects for auditing purposes, so deleting them is not even an option for us. And the work around is just that, a work around and NOT a solution. This really needs to be implemented as quickly as possible.

Please & Thank you!

this is actually a joke you have had this feature beeing asked for since 2003 that's 16 YEARS for the most basic functionality that everyone needs why has this not been done for cloud you have it in two of your other services it surely can't be that hard to take the code from the edit it so it will work with a cloud-based system Atlassian could be so much better so much better then it actually is it costs a fortune to use for a company and they don't do any improvements ever at all ok latest Jira cloud version you added a new layout view which I'm sure that was the least asked for change considering you have features like this 16 years old with nothing done about them and probably never going to do anything about them.

as a Large company your self, you must understand how important it is to be able to have this feature as you CAN'T DELETE RECORDS due to you might need this information for future references and projects come and go and get completed I don't see why you make your users who pay you hundreds of dollars a month and you make use scroll though all our closed project because there simply is no option to archive a project.

if there is an addon that you have to pay for from an external company I will understand why you haven't made this change available in cloud  but considering your Total revenue was $874.0 million for the fiscal year 2018 I just pulled this from your website you earn more than enough money to add these most basic features.

I'd love to see some serious change in how you choose what features are required or wanted because new issue layout form is at the bottom of the list when core functionality is missing or have to spend hundreds of more dollars to get for a one time use.

I know for a fact if it wasn't so difficult of migrating to a new system that has the basic functionality and adds it quicker then 16 years then we would but the fact you have made it next to impossible to move the information to a new system and don't add any new feature is a bit a kick in the teeth considering how much you earnt and how much we pay for your product with MISSING FUNCTIONALITY.

@atlassian 

Hi, this might help you.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/archiving-a-project-802592917.html

It's trick by hiding project with permission scheme.

I can't understand why this feature is not implemented for Jira Cloud. I don't know how much hard to implement, but... it is just hiding!

Archiving was never enabled for Jira Cloud only for Jira Software and Jira Service Desk for data center

"It's not available because it's not available" isn't really an answer....

Like # people like this

damn! I just spent an hour looking for an answer... it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that Cloud version does not have an "archive" feature! another pain to deal with.

Like # people like this

I totally agree.  this seems such an obvious feature to include.  On any given month we manage 5-10 different projects for different clients.  so in a years time our projects list is going to be huge!  is this feature being considered for CLOUD?  thanks

Like # people like this

This is a big deal and it should be simple to implement, yet people have to talking about this for years and still nothing. I'm already looking at other options, Atlassian is starting to fall off in my opinion. They don't seem to be customer centric. 

Like # people like this

Creating a new permission scheme for Archived project assigned to one person will do the trick for team members but not an admin sadly. 

i can still see the projects but now can't access them so was a bit of a bomb in terms of a workround.

This is a big issue for us too... Already have around 40 projects in the list and only 6 of them is active. I have just started considering other alternatives to Jira only because of a bunch of this kind of simple yet distracting glitches.

Like # people like this

You have taken away basic and core functionality! This is beyond ridiculous, and I can't believe the ticket for this request hasn't been worked on in over a year! @Atlassian

Like # people like this
2 votes

Hello,

Project Archiving is not available for Jira Cloud. It is only available for Jira Data Center

You can find this info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/archiving-a-project-938847621.html

I am with Atlassian after 2 years away. I really thought I remembered being able to archive projects. Maybe I am confusing my memory with every other similar app i've used in the past. 

Thank you Alexey for posting the link. 

tpherr I'm New Here Nov 05, 2019

Alexey,

When will Atlassian add the Archive Feature to the Cloud? I have a list of 80 some projects in our instance and about 30 are old projects that we would like to archive. This feature is needed. 

Thank you

Is that possible to create a ticket for this new feature?

@atlassian 

@jira 

can someone help AT the right contact?

1 vote

Wow this is a long thread an nothing happened? 

1 vote

up!!!!!!!

1 vote

Unbelievable guys..I don't wanna believe that I can't archive projects.. 

Look at https://jira.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/JSWCLOUD-17064

Support engineers recommend we create individual support tickets to get visibility on this issue. No one is looking at this community page. 

Subscribing

Is this really still not possible?  

This is so ridiculous. It's such a simple thing to implement. Just do it and stop the madness. 

I agree with everyone above. How is a company that creates a Project Management tool to help manage one's projects satisfied with the clutter and messiness of a long list of old, not-in-progress, no-action-required project list???

I need a shortlist of projects that NEED TO BE VISIBLE!

Pay attention Atlassian - we users need to archive our projects.

Like everyone else here, I need this feature. I'm about to delete some projects that I would really rather archive. 

Like # people like this

Done. thank you for the link.

Marre d'Atlassian JIRA cloud, la fonctionnalité d'archivage manque cruellement

:(:(:(

je vais finir par trouver une autre solution Plus complète et moins chère aussi

0 votes

+1 archiving is an essential and useful feature.

Upvoted this suggestion that Clayton Mathis posted: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17064

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

275 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you