Archiving Jira Cloud projects

John Vialpando
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 30, 2018

We have a huge list of old projects that I would love to archive and remove from the project list. I searched and followed the permission schema to try and activate the archive functionality but it is still not working. I am on jira cloud instance any help would be appreciated. 

7 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 30, 2018

Hi @John Vialpando, in Jira Cloud there's no an archiving feature out of the box. The recommended way to archive projects is:

1. Create a permissions scheme called "Archived" or the title you wish
  2. Remove all permissions in the scheme but those that you want to keep having access ie. Jira admins. Specially remove the Browse Projects permission that will prevent from showing the project.
  3. Apply the schema to the projects you want to archive

Does it make sense to you?

Cheers,

David

david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 31, 2018

Hi @John Vialpando

In order to help others to find the answer I'd appreciate so much that you mark the answer as "Accepted Answer" if it helped you.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

Like lukaloncar likes this
Andrew Arreza
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 19, 2018

Thank you David, this helped

Like david likes this
Deleted user April 11, 2019

David,

Any solution in the future that will prevent individuals from seeing the project on the Projects Board?

Thanks,

Kevin

Like Vicker Leung likes this
13 votes
Christian Marth March 26, 2019

The permissions scheme workaround doesn't remove the archived projects from the project's list, this is extremely frustrating that this basic functionality is not included in Jira Cloud, I'm extremely disappointed that such basic functionality is not included 

10 votes
Youyou February 27, 2019

Hi,

This sounds like a workaround to  me... Why is this basic feature not available in the Cloud instance of Jira ?

As small as it seems, this is a huge help in a business day-to-day projects management process...

8 votes
Dan_Nelson January 10, 2019

Madonne!  Seriously?  JIRA Cloud doesn't support archiving a project like private instances do?   Ermahgerd. :(

GFE Media - Dilip January 28, 2020

Madonne has nothing to do with this. :)

Yes, seriously, it is an issue and Atlassian is not able to solve it. Easy as this.
Since years users ask for this.

7 votes
Elisabeth Schloemmer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 13, 2019

Also very surprised to find out that there actually is no archiving function in Jira Cloud - this is quite an important feature for us too.

1 vote
ngal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 15, 2020

HOW THE HELL IS THIS MARKED AS "SOLVED" WITHOUT ANY ANSWERS?

Supreet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2020

Hi @ngal

You can refer to this documentation for the steps to archive a project: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/archive-a-project-1013843066.html

Elisabeth Schloemmer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 15, 2020

Seriously? Archiving a project is a Premium feature for double the price? Considering we're already paying a good amount for our licenses I'd like to see archiving as a standard feature. I'm not sure how it would ever be considered anything but a standard feature, it's not like we're getting a huge amount of added value from it for double the price. We will certainly be going without the premium upgrade and will continue to be annoyed by having new and old projects jumbled together, but no business reason to spend more money on this. Please do submit that feedback for reconsideration.

Webmaster
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 3, 2020

Unbelievable that archiving a project is a premium feature... Really Atlassian, double check the pricing models please... When I see something like this I start to wonder when I can find some time to move to a competitor in the near future.

jira.png

Stephan Shere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2020

WOW!  I am shocked, I am so glad I found this thread. 

We have been using Categories to Archive Projects which is a nightmare. 

@Webmasterand @Elisabeth mentioning this is a premium feature is the only reason I found my way back to the pricing page and I see it there.

I agree it's very odd that this is a project requires premium instead of instead of being part of the standard plan.

Thank you two for pointing out the solution, although, it's not necessarily what we were hoping for, it's exactly why the "Archive" section still exists in the Manage Projects.

If it helps, creating an archive of projects can be accomplished by using Categories and Filtering on those Categories.

Not the best solution, but it works, and seems less of a pain than the permissions method.

image.pngimage.png

Like Jerome Rousselot likes this
0 votes
Ren May 15, 2019

Looks like there's at least one ticket open for this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17064

Sohil
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 6, 2019

It is currently in the state Gathering Interest.

Please everyone go add a vote to this ticket so it can be transitioned to Reviewing state.

GFE Media - Dilip January 28, 2020

done

Like davide_gurgone likes this

Suggest an answer