Anyone else hate the new jira experience?

Viewing page 3 of 3

54 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nedo December 9, 2018

We started using Jira last month 

As a product engineer, I feel that Jira's design is a bad intern job that went to market.

this is a horrible delivery from Atlasssian

0 votes
ZSpace Pty Ltd November 14, 2018

As a long term (6+ years) Jira Server user I was introduced to the Jira Cloud offering today via another company ... goodness - it's an abomination. As others have mentioned first off was the bugs ... created an Epic and got logged out. I mean what the ... ?!

0 votes
Thomas Duez September 14, 2018

Seriously, Atlassian - I understand you're trying to find ways to use less bandwidth & save money...

But punishing your consumers for using your product is not the smartest direction to go.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2018

Move to server if you want the older UI back.

Like Chris Gliddon likes this
danielpoft September 15, 2018

Really Mr. Nic Brough? Is that your answer? This product, when is in use in an organization has costs to implement, a lot! (and don't be naif to think only in the license value) To change an architecture and a business model has a big impact. After you adopt tools like Jira, JSD and Confluence your organization will be dependant on that to work in a daily basis. Clearly, you don't understand the costs involved in the transation you are proposing, from the migration to the training etc...

After that, it's the Atlassian's customers opinion that was just ignored. It's easy to understand that in other discussions in this community forum where you put questions and for years nobody from Atlassian answers to that!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2018

I can tell you have not bothered to read the rest of the thread where the reasons for that comment will become clear.

danielpoft September 16, 2018

I continue not unsderstanding... but it doesn't matter. Nobody from Atlassian will read this, anyway. You can make political avertising here and it will be fine for them... 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2018

It really is simple - Atlassian have stated the new UI is not optional on Cloud and there's no way back.

So your only option is to go to server.

Atlassian do read these posts, and they have recently committed to reading them a lot more.  But on this topic of the new UI, they've said what's happening.

danielpoft September 16, 2018

Dear Nic (Allow me that, please),

I'm aware about that. That's exactly the problem. They ignored the customers.

I know that sooner or later, in my company, we will need to move further, but we don't know if it will be with atlassian because of this and more. More? Yes, because their products don't have the basics. I have really big complains in Jira Service Desk, especially relly simple and basic details that the application don't cover. For example, you can't have details about the customers you are supporting, only their e-mail. This could be easily solved with the possibility to insert some fields in the registry form. But Attlassian is ignoring tons of topics in this community about this issue, tons of companies complaining about that. That is so basic that nobody thinks they don't have it. You always need to buy several plugins to do basic things. The plugins are not to add or improve, they are needed to the basics. The most part of plugins are only for server and not cloud.

I think to move to server it's a step back in our business model, since we don't want to maintain a server. It's part of the past, at least for us. I want a complete service.
 I understand you can tell me that we should test it previously. Agree!! I admit I was naif when I decided to adopt this tools and I will pay for it!! But this is something in our company we don't allow our customers to feel. We are here to help their business and never let them feel what I feel about Atlassian.

Afterall, Atlassian is not a partner, is just a company.

Thomas Duez September 19, 2018

Hey, Nic - less than a few weeks ago it was possible to disable the New Jira Experience. Arbitrarily telling your customer "you could go back, but we're not going to give you that chance because we decided to not" is a poor excuse.

That you are a COMMUNITY "CHAMPION"...oh, the irony.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2018

I'm a champion because I engage with people and try to explain things, and people seem to appreciate it.  Not because I work with Atlassian a lot, and certainly not because I get directly rewarded for it.

It's not me ignoring you.  It's Atlassian.  They're ignoring me as well, as I'm not employed by them, I'm free to express my opinion.  I don't want to have a flag to enable people to switch back to the old view, I just don't want to have the option of the new one at all.  It doesn't work, and I've no idea how they asked such poor questions of the users that they ended up with a dreadful UI.

In this thread, I'm just telling you how it is, and asking you to read the earlier stuff before ranting on a subject that's already been covered.

Eiko Pugh September 19, 2018

Dear Nic,

As just an normal employee in a big global company, your option of "move to server version" is out of my control...

So if you work with Atlassian, could you please tell them the summary I posted above?
I think the PO of JIRA cloud product doesn't really know how to use JIRA in details. Loosing good features is starting to affect my projects and people are starting to hate the application more.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2018

Again, I was just telling you how it is, not that this is a good state of affairs. There is no other option than to move to a server install (or fragment and divide your users and pick other software) if you don't want to use Cloud.

And, again, They're ignoring me as well, as I'm not employed by them, I'm free to express my opinion.

John Zabroski September 20, 2018

Eiko,

As a software developer who has worked in SaaS cloud companies, and seen horror shows, usually bad cloud re-designs are due to trying to save infrastructure costs by moving to modern UIs that consume less bandwidth.  It's sad, but usually the almighty dollar and cost saving is usually why such things happen.

Anyway, I sort of like it when companies like Atlassian slip up.  It lets competitors jump in and steal market share.  I just feel bad for those affected who are working extra hours because some third party changed things on them.

jens
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2018

At Atlassian, we regularly read these comments and take your feedback on the new experience very seriously. 

We are sincerely sorry for the frustration caused by relearning how to navigate around our products when all you want to do is get on with your day. I'll admit that we missed the mark despite the research and testing we did with hundreds of customers before we rolled out the new experience

The new experience is motivated by the need to find the balance between complexity and simplicity, so Jira meets the needs of new, existing, and power users. We can't find this balance alone and rely on all of the people here to keep us on the right track. 

Please trust that our teams have been working hard to address the feedback and will continue to do so. The more examples you provide of what is and is not working for you through the in-product Give feedback button, the better we can keep moving forward together towards the best possible Jira. 

Thank you again for your patience. 

Cheers,

Jens, Head of Product

Michael Benz September 28, 2018

We have first upgraded our Bitbucket Server instance and faced similar issues there. The new branding is not the worst thing but the clean UI with lots of wasted white space plus new icons that are not really intuitive. Since we wanted to upgrade JIRA next I checked online and found this thread.
At least there is the opportunity to go back to the old UI with Jira Server in the profile settings for now. But I can feel the pain too and now need to see if that is also possible for the other products that we currently use like Bitbucket Server and Bamboo.

Joe Koberg October 9, 2018

"Balance" is a false goal here. Just have different views for "basic, newbs" and power users 

Rick Thomson October 10, 2018

I would upvote your comment about balance if I could, its the old adage all over again

You can't please everyone all the time!

Atlassian please stop trying to do so, if you must make a simple mode (which even my artists find more difficult to use than the old version) then please also make an advanced mode or even better leave the old interface available as the advanced mode, we were all 'happy' with it...

(though as with all things UI/UX had stockholm syndrome may be a better term than happy)

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2018

Seconding the  you can't be all things to all people.

Why not develop a "Lite" product that is 'easy' to use, instead of forcing existing customers/environments to be shoehorned into how you think they should be using the product vs how they are actually using the product?

These changes really do not make sense from a user/usability standpoint and I haven't heard anyone say they like the changes being made to the cloud product.  Most folks I know that chose the cloud, is so they don't have to concern themselves with the infrastructure.  I honestly can only recommend most folks look at a hosted solution for the Server product if they want the full customization experience. 

John Zabroski October 18, 2018

@jens 

What's some things you've recently learned from your clients? It's a weak apology to say you're listening to complaints. Tell us concrete examples of how you're fixing your mess.

jens
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2018

Jira Software has to work for teams of different sizes and maturity levels. That flexibility is what makes Jira different. It's not black and white, simple vs powerful, there are hundreds of shades of grey in between. That's what we are building. With the next-gen projects in Jira we are giving teams the ability to progressively add more features when required. 

An example of where we recently improved the experience based on feedback we received is the ☆ drawer in the navigation. Although recent boards and filters were available via the search, people simply didn't find it there... it wasn't intuitive. We added the ☆ drawer to provide quick access to starred and recently viewed items. 

We are in the progress of making many more improvements, which include performance and usability. For example the current collapsed state of the project navigation is really hard to use. Conceptually it seemed like a great idea, but in practice it simply didn't work. 

Please continue to give us feedback and let us know what you like and what you don't like.

Personally I'm super excited about the direction of Jira. If you haven't seen Scott's blog post, you can find it here: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/the-new-jira-begins-now.

Cheers,

Jens – Head of Product

John Zabroski October 22, 2018

@jens Are you aware that your example of ☆ drawer in the navigation improving experience is something I cite in my top upvoted answer as something wrong with the direction of JIRA?

It's literally exactly what's wrong with your UI. It exists in JIRA, but not Confluence. And I can't use the stars from Confluence to quickly get back to JIRA.

Nonetheless, I do appreciate your reply. I do think it is challenging to build a UI for as many people as possible. I just don't know if you've really understood the essence of the problem. I don't mean this as an insult.  I mean very distinctly people want a Simple UI and a Power UI.

Thomas Duez October 26, 2018

Issues and Filters don't give me the list of Filters until I drill into a specific project.

I either subscribed-to or created those filters I want in that list.

But the filters won't show up when I click "Issues and Filters" on the Dashboard.

Either make the Filters show up no matter the context when "Issues and Filters" is clicked or remove "and Filters".

jens
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2018

@John Zabroski I would love to understand why you believe the ☆ drawer is a "slow navigation item". What is it you are trying to do that was faster in the old UI? 

One thing is worth calling out though. This is just beginning of the new experience, not a final designThere are still issues with switching to Confluence or accessing filters. Getting your feedback on what isn't working for you is really important and helps us shape the experience. 

You also mentioned a Single Page App experience. With the recent changes we laid the foundation that will allow us to implement more of Jira as a single page app. You will see some changed here in the coming weeks.  

Talking about feedback, let me address the points you made above: 

1. It has always been really hard to switch between Confluence and JIRA, and this new design did nothing to address that pain point.

There are two ways to navigation to Confluence. 

1. In-context via linked pages on issues or in projects. 
  2. Via the product switcher 

I agree with you, the current experience sucks and we need to make it better. 

2. Agile Boards are not only an extra click, but extra page load away, and I have to visually search for the tile with my board.  There is also nothing in the UI that says "Board" any more, and so even realizing where to go to get back to my Board, was really hard.  Thankfully, I have a link to my board saved on my Chrome Toolbar, or it would be impossible.

Not sure I understand that feedback. Recent boards are the first items in the ☆ drawer, which should make it easy to access it. After we implemented the drawer, most of the feedback around navigating to boards went quiet. 

3. Searching is a bit better, but they took away my favorite way to search: Easy access to most recent issues.  Usually I just want to see the last 10 issues I touched. "Filtering by sorting" is a common usability paradigm for users.

I agree that we haven't quite solved easy access to filters or recent issues. I'm sure we can do better here. 

PS: Sorry about the late response, just found the notification in my inbox. 

jens
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2018

@T, could you provide more context? When you click on "Issues and filters" in the global (blue) navigation, it should show you your starred filters followed by a number of default filters. 

Andreas Nyrup Clausen January 28, 2019

How about the features that have been removed?

For example, we use Epics>Stories>Sub-tasks in my team. We estimate on story-level and time-track on sub-task-level. We have to switch to the old view to make the tracked time accumulate to the parent story, there's no way to do this in the new view.

There are more examples of features just completely disappearing, and it's making it terrible to work with. I actually like a lot of things about the new design, and I think it would be fine if it was only the structure and styling of it, but I don't understand why you had to remove features from it.

Like Deleted user likes this
Roskoe July 29, 2019

"This is just beginning of the new experience, not a final design." 

This makes me think Atlassian took a page from the game industries book of "let the community test it"

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2018

Create a VM in Cloud - run JIRA in that VM instead :-)

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question