Anyone else hate the new jira experience?

The new jira experience is full of bugs and inefficiencies.  I had it turned off, but now it looks like I'm stuck with it for good.  Is that true that I can't use the old one anymore.

For me it's really awful- bad enough that i would consider dumping jira.  

Several issues

1- Navigation is really hard

2- The search filters are hard to get to

3- The drop downs for assigned to and for priority don't consistently work with auto fill, and clicking the dropdown doesn't always show the list either.  this is the WORST of the problems.

Anyone else agree?

12 answers

+1 For me it's really awful- bad enough that i would consider dumping jira.  

I do.  While I can acknowledge change takes time getting used to, they have completely removed my most frequent navigation actions and added a bunch of clicks to get anything useful done.  The only positive to the new UI is it seems to load a lot faster.  But it's not even a Single Page Application - lots of things completely re-load the page.  So I don't understand the point of the re-design.

Here are my top annoyances, in case the UI designers are reading this:

1. It has always been really hard to switch between Confluence and JIRA, and this new design did nothing to address that pain point.

2. Agile Boards are not only an extra click, but extra page load away, and I have to visually search for the tile with my board.  There is also nothing in the UI that says "Board" any more, and so even realizing where to go to get back to my Board, was really hard.  Thankfully, I have a link to my board saved on my Chrome Toolbar, or it would be impossible.

3. Searching is a bit better, but they took away my favorite way to search: Easy access to most recent issues.  Usually I just want to see the last 10 issues I touched. "Filtering by sorting" is a common usability paradigm for users.

I hate it its really bad, everything takes now twice as much time and some things are so buggy ... its awful. Any recommendations for alternatives? If the intend of this change was to piss people off and make them to leave Jira for good well done good job

Move over to Server, either hosting it yourself or getting a third party to do it (there's lots of providers).  The new UI won't be coming to that for a long time, if at all (hopefully, never, or if it does, a version that has been fixed)

Agreed... this has made things so much more difficult. We are wasting so much more time on this than should be required. Forcing a poor UI and UX on us is incredibly poor form, but sadly our opinion doesn't matter.

Whoever came up the design should be fired. Absolutely horrible to navigate and the documentation hasn't been updated - so it's impossible to find how to do setting changes.  Jira used to be an extremely easy to use piece of technology. Now it's turned to shit. 

All true words - sad because I used to love it.

Ahh- the option to turn it off come back.  But how long do we have before we are stuck with it?

We're officially stuck with it.  See this post on February 7, 2018: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/introducing-your-new-jira-experience-937886012.html

It does look like they're committing to making it work - they even registered a special domain name to explain their enterprise-wide initiative, here: https://atlassian.design/

They also have a reference implementation called AtlasKit: https://atlaskit.atlassian.com/

(Tongue-in-cheek humor:) For what it's worth, there are some who might see this as pointless complaining, since they never thought JIRA was that great to begin with (hah): https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/11/death-to-jira/

Ugly and unusable, well done people who redesigned jira, you've hidden all the functionality and made it very modern...

I've known interfaces designed by coders that were better.

I HATE, HATE, HATE this new UI. It's SO unproductive and easy to get lost in.
I'm an Admin and I've not had one single person say they prefer it.
What the fudge are you guys playing at?
FFS - please listen to your users and revert it back or give us an option to!!!!!!

Jira (and other Atlassian products) seem to have the most disorganized help of almost any product I have ever used. It is easier to do a Google search on the topic than trying to find something in Jira help.

The UI seems designed for Unix people who spend all day in the tool. It's useless and confusing for people who only occasionally use it. To be honest, I'm keeping my eye open for something easier to use and will probably change the company over when we get the time to do so.

yah we have considered dumping jira b/c of the new UI and changes to how projects are the basis for everything.  our agile team board that brings together jira's from many software "projects"/products is a hot mess and not as good as the project agnostic boards.  atlassian really screwed this up - they had people reverting to old jira for a long time and did nothing to fix it.  everyone i work with +100's of people hates it.  if it were up to me it would be gone...   there has to be a better solution.

All Atlassian products are a delusion! They don't know what is UX and Usability. For any minimal change you will face huge difficulties.

All the products have basic things missing, for example, the service desk customer portal really sucks. You cannot do anything, like to add some basic fields to the user registration... So, you will support a customer and you don't know his name, because to the registration in the customer portal you can only insert the customer e-mail. Did Attlassian people thought about this tool? Did they talked with the customers about it? I don't think so...

Even for basic things you have to buy a new plugin. 
I would like to know why this tools are so popular. The name for this is "status quo", but one day it finishes... 

I regret all days about the decision to use this tool! Unfortunatly, now it's too late.

Create a VM in Cloud - run JIRA in that VM instead :-)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

467 views 2 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you