Any way to add graphical emoticons on new issue view?

Rondo Lehner May 9, 2018

Before the new issue view was implemented I was able to add simple emoticons using the wiki markup .          (?)>           (?)>         (y)>

The new issue view unfortunately escapes all of the markup that previously worked and  the WYSIWYG toolbar does not allow for adding emojis either. The emoticons are quite useful to me to indicate quickly what acceptance Criteria have been met or haven't been met. 
I see the wiki renderer still supports the emoticons because I can add them in the old detail view where they are carried over to the new view. 

Is there any simple way of adding emoticons in the new issue view?

Thank you in advance. 

16 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rondo Lehner April 10, 2019

I've stumbled on this by accident: 

The new jira detail view supports adding emojis by typing a colon preceded by a whitespace.

Problem solved for me.

Screenshot 2019-04-10 at 16.16.50.png

Mohan Dharmalingam April 10, 2019

I cannot do the same.. Is it part of new release roll over from JIRA? or Am I missing something?

Rondo Lehner April 15, 2019

For jira cloud make sure you have the New Jira issue view enabled. To enable it, click on your Avatar > Personal settings and scroll down to where you see 'Jira labs', make sure the new Jira Issue view is ticked ON.

I also noticed the new 'emoji' icon in the text-editor which you can use to select an emoji instead of the colon markup (":<emoji_name>:")

Jeremy Gallagher April 15, 2019

I also don't see this available on my of my Jira Cloud boards (Next Gen or otherwise).  Jira Labs is enabled, but the only way I see to create emojis in issues is upon creation via the toolbar, and when it's entered into the description it's still using the ( ) formatting.  Emojis are still not working on comments in any capacity.

Like # people like this
Mohan Dharmalingam April 17, 2019

same as Jeremy

Askar Kalykov June 14, 2019

Rondo, you are probably one of canaries, that might explain why others don't see this feature. It's already 2 months past your post, I still do not have it in our cloud instance.

Rondo Lehner June 14, 2019

@Askar Kalykov does your issue detail view have the same appearance as mine? (nevermind the order of the fields)image.png

No, mine has no smiley, table and plus icons, but has a one for divider:
Screenshot from 2019-06-14 12-23-15.pngNew issue view / labs toggle is enabled.

Eric Krauter August 5, 2019

I have the new issue view enabled on our Jira Software Cloud instance

in previous versions, I could copy the markup code for an emoticon from Confluence to Jira

example: (+) for the plus icon, (-) for the minus icon

now in Jira Comments section, if I do that, it just displays the markup (+)

I then tried the newer style of markup

:minus: for minus icon

if I manually type that in the comments section it displays the icon

if I copy and paste the markup code as plain text from notepad++, it just displays the literal text instead of converting it to an icon

is there any way to paste text from the clipboard into a Jira comment that will allow icons to be displayed?

Like Hasham Babar likes this
8 votes
kai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2018

Hey @Rondo Lehner – at the moment this isn't possible. But I can share with you that this functionality will be available very soon.

Keep an eye out for a new emoji picker icon that will appear in the new WYSIWYG editor, that can be used to insert any unicode supported emoji.

Hope this helps!

Rondo Lehner May 10, 2018

Great thank you! Looking forward to it.

Rondo Lehner July 17, 2018

Hi Kai,
any update on how soon this will be available? Emoticons, especially tick marks and crosses are important in our workflow. 

thanks in advance!

Like # people like this
Marc Gerstmair August 27, 2018

Any update when this will become available?

I started using Emoticons supported by the operating system, but it's not consistent.

Like Reto Germann likes this
Mat September 4, 2018

Any update would be appreciated!  We tend to use the tick and cross emoticons to use bullet lists as a checklist, and now that we're using the new view in all areas, we're a little stuck without it.

Like # people like this
Dima Tolkachov October 18, 2018

+1

Deleted user October 23, 2018

+1

Jeff Campbell November 1, 2018

I miss these as well, wonder how long this is going to take to implement?

Like Reto Germann likes this
Eric Hislop November 1, 2018

+1

Christof Hagedorn November 2, 2018

+1

Lukas Kühnert November 12, 2018

@kai Any updates on when this will be available. It has already been more than 5 months since the last update on this. Is there a timeline to this or is this not a priority anymore?

Like # people like this
Stefan C. November 16, 2018

"very soon." ?

Like Askar Kalykov likes this
Tim Pokorny November 20, 2018

+1, still waiting

Eric de Weerdt November 23, 2018

This needs a bit more attention, such a basic feature and it is really missed.

Mohan Dharmalingam November 25, 2018

Any update?

Burns December 17, 2018

+1

Oleg Pukha December 18, 2018

+1

Francois Vachon December 18, 2018

+1

Eugene Dementiev December 28, 2018

Any update?

Andreas Ivarsson January 17, 2019

+1

Like Kevin Lau likes this
Jeremy Gallagher February 1, 2019

+1 This is really something I'd like to see come back already.  It's disappointing to have useful features taken away.  

Like Pip Jones likes this
Mohan Dharmalingam February 6, 2019

@kaiits been more than 6 months this is posted.. do you have any update ?

Valerio De Rosa February 14, 2019

+1 we don't need the whole jungle of emojis, just add those 3 as via markup

Yohann Jardin February 28, 2019

+1

Just hoped this "very soon" was not another "soon™" :(

Like Andrew Knight likes this
Kory Paulsen March 26, 2019

+1

+1

3 votes
Radosław Małysa January 18, 2019

+1

2 votes
Markus Vieghofer January 29, 2019

+1

1 vote
Jeff Campbell August 9, 2019

This is working just fine now for me on Jira cloud. I tried the space then : approach at first( like  :exclamation: ) but then I realized for both the description field and comment fields there is now an emoji icon I can click to get to hundreds of them! Thanks Jira! I missed these like icons! :)

Jeff

1 vote
Marc Gerstmair April 10, 2019

Almost one year now for a feature "that ... will be available very soon."

I'm watching several tickets and I don't have the feeling that Atlassian is still able to react to regular users - they have grown too much. I lost hope long time ago that Atlassian will be able to ship features in an agile way like they did 10-15 years ago.

1 vote
Kira McCoan February 27, 2019

We've just gone back to using the old view when adding emoji. Kind of lame

1 vote
Nick Dronsfield February 25, 2019

it would really help us to see this functionality added to issues in Jira cloud. Specifically it would be helpful to be able to use them in comments. They are a handy way to visually validate acceptance criteria when testing. This saves developers from reading the entire comment to see what needs addressing 

1 vote
Jeremy Gallagher February 1, 2019

+1

0 votes
azade bagheri July 29, 2019

+1

0 votes
Sebastian Koch March 28, 2019

+1, really required as we use it heavily to communciate status or tasks.

0 votes
Ben Gibson March 19, 2019

+1000

0 votes
Amritha Narayanan March 12, 2019

+1!!!!

0 votes
Pieter Smith March 11, 2019

+1

0 votes
Mohan Dharmalingam February 25, 2019

I think they are in no mood to add this despite many requests... its been more than 6 months we are asking...

0 votes
Ricardo Montes February 6, 2019

I neeeeeeeeeeeed it

Suggest an answer