Allow to Edit for a Reporter for a limited time after the Issue is created

Anatoli Makejev January 30, 2019

Good day,

Is it possible somehow to give the Reporter the possibility to edit the created Issue but only for a limited time after the creation time (after the issue is posted)? 

Example:

Reporter created an Issue. But then he/she wants to Edit it. He/She should have been granted with the possibility to edit the issue, but for a limited time, for example, up to 1 hour after the issue was posted. And after one hour the Reporter should already not be able to edit the issue anymore. 

So to limit the time the issue is editable for a Reporter (or for any other role also).

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2019

It's not possible to do this exactly as you have stated with Jira natively.  

That said, you could give the reporter permissions on a project level to edit their own issue, and then later you can restrict them from making changes to the issue when it exists in different statuses.  This can be done with Workflow Properties.    Specifically, I was able to do this by going into the workflow in question, edit that workflow, click on the status in question, and select Properties.  From here you can add a property such as

jira.permission.edit.group = jira-administrators

(that format would look like this in the workflow properties page:)

wfprop2.png

Adding this property, and then publishing the workflow would prevent any user that was not in that specific group from editing the issue when it was in that specific status of that workflow;  even if they actually do have the permissions to do that in the project.

I tried to do this by using the reporter role instead of a specific group name, but it did not seem to work for me.   At least in this way of restricting by group, the reporter could edit the issue at least until the issue is first transitioned.  You would need to add this property to the other statuses in the workflow (except for the first status after the issue is created).   Also if your workflow permits the user to transition the issue back to that initial state, they could get past this limitation by doing that first.

0 votes
Anis Hawali September 18, 2022

Hi,

You can do this only with Scriptrunner

0 votes
Francesc_Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2019

Hi @Anatoli Makejev,

you can't do this out of the box. The only way I see is a custom development or a script.

Anatoli Makejev February 1, 2019

Thank you.

Suggest an answer