Allow different user groups to have duplicate names for their projects

Fathima nazeer April 2, 2015

I have a requirement to allow different user groups to have duplicate names for their projects.

Let's say user-group1 and user-group2 can not view each others projects. Is their a mechanism to allow them to have similar names for their projects only changing the project key?

Is there any plugin available to achieve this?

3 answers

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2015

This has been an annoying restriction in base JIRA for long time (ever?). Projects have 2 unique keys, the project key and the name. I don't believe there is any solution for this nor do I think Atlassian will entertain removing the restriction.

1 vote
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2015

Hi Fathima, 

Unfortunately that won't be possible with JIRA defaults and I'm not aware of any plugin that will allow you to do so. However, I think that for you to achieve that you can have one single project and add Security Levels on your issues for each group. This way, each will have access only to their respective issues within the same project.

Do you think this can be an option? smile

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

0 votes
Fathima nazeer April 3, 2015

Hi Elisa,

Thank you for the response.

But for my requirement I need to allow users to have different projects. I need to map applications on my site (Which allows different users to have similar named applications), to projects on JIRA. Well, it seems I won't be able to achieve it. I'll have to consider another work around. sad

I agree with Bob, what's the point in having a unique key to a project if you still need project name to be unique as well? Is there any chance of changing that in future?

Suggest an answer