Advantages / Disadvantages Workflow configuration Project based

Lee Street June 16, 2021

All,

I'd like to understand the advantages and disadvantages of providing Workflow configuration access to one person on that Jira Project rather than 1 Jira admin controlling hundred of projects workflow?

The instance of Jira does not have any alignment policies of playbook of use

1 answer

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2021

Hi @Lee Street ,

For me, the advantage of having a Jira Admin administering the workflows is to mitigate the risk of changes that could impact other teams's projects. I expect the Jira Admin to be familiar with the workflows and with the way workflows are linked to the projects. They should also understand well the impact that changes to workflows can have, as workflows can be shared among projects. Letting them manage the workflows mitigate or remove certain risks.

You may think that the disadvantages of depending on a Jira Admin for changes to a workflow are the lack of control or the inability to apply configuration changes for a project admin. But overall, this is a good thing, if a change may accidentally "break" others.

In the case where the jira project administrator can manage the workflows, then workflows are individually linked to one project. The advantage is that now someone in  the team has access to changes. The disadvantage is that the workflow and other related functionalities cannot be shred with other projects.

Suggest an answer