Admin task: check user activity per license type to get an overview about license usage

Martin Podhovnik January 7, 2020

As an administrator in a global company with a large user base, lots of projects and different JIRA license types (SD, Software) I need to keep track of the license count and the usage of licenses.

My wish: If one of my licensed users does not use the assigned license, I want to see it - to potentially take it away from the user to give the license to somebody else.

All my users can be at least in one of the following groups:

- JIRA Software User

- JIRA Service Desk Agent

- Jira Service Desk Customer

My problem is that the last logged in (last active) timestamp does not work for me as (as an example) an user could have created a ticket within a service desk project in a role as an (internal) customer - but never uses the software or core license she/he has been assigned for another project. --> That is what I want to see.

I can check some activity using JQL selecting issues (e.g. doing some pseudo counting) on an user by user level using something like 

'status changed to (closed) by (user1)' or 'assignee was in (user1)'

but I cannot get that as an overview about all my licensed users. (And doing this for hundreds of users is a bit cumbersome)

So my question is: Does anybody of you know a good way to keep track of the activity of each licensed user per license type?

Best regards
Martin

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Podhovnik January 8, 2020

For the completeness:

Atlassian offers a plugin since ~Sept 2019 which seems to do what I was asking for.

Name of the Plugin: Centralized license visibility - you can find it on the market place.

Pre-Requisite is that you need Crowd Data Center with version > 3.5 - so if you are on Crowd Server as I am you might not get happy with it...

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

If you are in server I suppose you could do some magic with a database query to search last activity per user per type of project. Unfortunately I'm not a DB guy who could help you build such query.

Within Jira I don't see it very likely to be possible

Martin Podhovnik January 8, 2020

Thanks Hernan,

that was what I have feared that I will have to either go to database level - or script some REST calls using JQL statements for each user and use the total results value from the JSON result.

0 votes
Sara K July 31, 2023

Hey Martin, not sure if this is still a problem or not but have you considered using License Logic or Zylo? They integrate with your SaaS stack and can easily show you which licensed users are not using the assigned licensed. License Logic even has an AI tool that will help you reclaim unused licenses too! 

Suggest an answer