Adding tables to a custom field's description

Jakob KN
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2018

Hi folks, 

I'm trying to add a table to the description of a custom field.
The purpose is giving instructions to the user on how to rate Risk Score on a scale of 1-5.

I've tried adding both a html table and a Wike markup table.
Both returns the following in the description of the custom field:

||likelihood|| || || || ||almost certain||3 |5 | 6| ||possible||2 |4 | 5| ||unlikely||1 | 2| 3| ||impact||minor||medium||major||

Might there be anything I have overlooked in regards to enabling html/Wiki markup for field descriptions in the system settings?

I'm on version 7.9.2.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2018

Hello Jakob,

Thank you for raising this question.

HTML markup was removed since version 6.2 due to security issues, however, the Wiki Markup is being implemented to it.

The format you mentioned above seems a little bit confusing for me. Can you please try the following format and let me know if it works for you?

||heading 1||heading 2||heading 3||
|col A1|col A2|col A3|
|col B1|col B2|col B3|

Just to ensure that you are editing it on the correct place, you must do it in the field Configuration page - Project Settings > Fields

That being said, it seems that we are still implementing the wiki markup on some Custom field types of JIRA server:

Provide support for Wiki Markup in Custom Field descriptions

Can you confirm what is the Custom field type you are using? Is it a Number Custom Field?

We will be waiting for your answer.

Jakob KN
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2018

Hi Petterson, 

Thanks for your reply.

I found out that the issue was in fact not in the html/wiki markup.
There was an existing Field Configuration for the project, which had and invalid table in it. 
So when changing the Custom Fields description, this of course did not affect the project.

I basically overlooked that, possibly a novice mistake.

The following table worked for me:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<table>

<tr>
<td>Almost certain</td>
<td> 3 </td>
<td> 5 </td>
<td> 6 </td>
</tr>
<tr>