Adding comments to linked issues

Romer Ventura August 3, 2018

Hello,

I am trying to find the best way to update all linked issues with whatever comments are added to the parent issue.

For example, I have a Problem, and that problem has 5 linked Service Request issues. When the assignee for the problem adds a comment to it, it adds the same comment to all linked issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2018

I am using Automation For Jira.

This is how I have mine setup to add ticket. I have another that does the same thing but in reverse with a check to ensure it doesn't loop. Let me know if this works for you.

tasdgf.png

Romer Ventura August 6, 2018

Thanks for this. It'd just be nice if it was built in

Like # people like this
Mark Hostetler April 26, 2019

@Raynard Rhodes sorry to bring this up from the past. 

I wasn't able to find the 'When: Value changes for...Comment' trigger, is that just legacy? As Automation has trigger 'Issue commented' currently.

I'm struggling with getting this to work, so just wondering if there was a conscious decision there that affects the outcome.

Like Jon Haakon Ariansen likes this
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2019

It's color coded. 

Green is the trigger. I think it's named field value change. 

Purple is a branch rule. 

Orange is condition. This one is a compare condition using smart values (check documentation) 

Light blue is Action. It should just say comment. 

Like Mark Hostetler likes this
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2019

Also it is a paid addon called automation for jira

Madhu Reddy April 28, 2020

Hi @Raynard Rhodes , I am sure your code helps me. But somehow I am not successful with the code.

Could you please correct me if I was wrong. I have attached the screenshot for your reference.

My Requirement is when the comment added on the Issue I also want that comment on all related linked issues. Thanks in Advance.

Comment Automation.png

Prasad Shiraskar May 8, 2020

I've a similar requirement but I want to copy the public comment from one issue to all of it's linked issues.

If the comment is internal it should copy to Internal on all the linked issues. 

Is this possible?

Prasad Shiraskar May 11, 2020

I was able to achieve thisMaster_to_Child_Comment_Updates.png

Like # people like this
Tim McMinn February 7, 2021

when I try try this, it will work for first comment added but future comments between my JIRA cloud projct and JSM project will not be added:

Comment1 config.PNGCommen Log.PNG

When I try using a branch with condition to linked issues  it will run in a loop and add multiple duplicate comments.

I simply want to add any new comment added from JIRA core ticket to linked JSM ticket.  If not JSM is useless to me as I dont want my team to have to maintain both JIRA and JSM tickets independently.

Prasad Shiraskar February 8, 2021

Does the audit log get generated for future comments? If not, then your rule is not triggering..

Also, I see only one project name in your screenshot. When I was working on a similar requirement but that was to copy the status from cloud software project to JSD project.. I had to mention both the cloud project and JSD project names in the rule.

Development
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 8, 2021

Very nice, but this automation stops when 500 times executed (on premium).

And that is a way to low restriction i think.

2021-03-08 11_49_17-Automation rules - Jira.png

Sarah Young March 12, 2021

I'm also trying to set this up. I've managed to get the rule running as a global rule, however really I want it run as a project rule because it's only comments on tickets in a particular project that I want to copy to linked issues.

However when I set up the same rule as a project one it doesn't seem to add comments to linked issues that are in other projects. I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this other than using a global rule?

It seems like global on our plan will going to allow 1000 triggers per month and only a very small fraction of comments will be relevant for my use case, so I really don't want to use up the global allowance!

Like Miriam Hopton likes this
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2021

I haven't used this for a while, but you should be able to add that project to the JQL portion if it's only used for specific projects.

0 votes
Ricardo July 8, 2021

How do we make it ignore "Done" tickets so that it doesn't comment on old tickets that are done but were linked to the open ticket? Anyone got any conditions for this automation or screenshot? 

Sarah Young July 8, 2021

Assuming you're using new Automation rather than legacy; you can do this by adding an Issue Fields condition after the branch "For Linked issues", which checks that the resolution is unresolved. 

rule branch.PNGcondition.PNG

Like Ricardo likes this
Ricardo July 8, 2021

Thank you!!

0 votes
carniel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2021

I tried the same approach and the comment is correcty added to Jira SD, starting from the comment added to Jira SW project.

The problem I have is that the comment created in SD is never "shared with customer". Moreover, I don't have an editable checkbox in the definition of the Project automation WF: I don't have the ceckbox at all, in the Add comment.

Schermata 2021-02-26 alle 11.19.05.png

What is it wrong???

Suggest an answer