Adding Outgoing Transition to Active Workflow

A previous admin set-up a workflow/schema with a closed status that does not have any outgoing transitions. I need to add a re-open status to the workflow and allow the users to transition the status of an issue from "closed" to "re-open", but the system will not allow me to create the transition - stating "the step 'closed' has no outgoing transitions in the active workflow, so you cannot add any outgoing transitions in the draft workflow."

Is there any way around this? Or is my only alternative to create a new project with the correct schema/transitions and then migrate the existing issues to it?

7 answers

1 accepted

16 votes
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jun 04, 2012

Hi Cory,

according to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow this is correct. You cannot do this with an active workflow.

But you don't have to create a new project. Create a copy of your existing workflow, edit it and add it to a new Workflow Scheme. Add this scheme to the existing project. Every issue will be converted to use the new workflow, but this is maybe better than creating a new project.

Best regards

Thomas

That did it - thanks for the quick and accurate reply.

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Jun 05, 2012

you're welcome :-)

Just jumping in here Thomas... i have the same problem.

So I have this workflow which is part of 2 Workflow Schemes. Each of these schemes are attached to projects with thousands of historic & current issues/items.

What's the step-by-step process if I wanted to create a transition out of 'Deferred' (to 'Ready for Dev') in this workflow?

Is it..

1. Create copy

2. Edit Copy (add the transition)

3. Add this 'new' workflow to the 2 schemes?

4. Remove the 'old' workflow from the 2 schemes?

Confused with the last 2 - especially since it'll all explode like a big bang if issues do not stay in their old statuses!

Cheers mate.

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 01, 2013

Hi Nitin,

1. ok

2. ok

3. Create two new workflow schemes as copies from the old ones

4. Remove the workflows you want to replace with new ones

3. Add the new workflows to the new workflow schemes

4. Replace the old workflow schemes in your projects with the new ones

If the new workflow does not have all the old statuses, you will be asked to which new status you want to convert the issues.

Cheers

Thomas

Hi Thomas, That's just awesome and I just successfully did it for 1 of our smaller projects.

At step 3 - why do you see create 2 new schemes?

I did it with 1.

Thought I'd double-check before doing it for our biggest projects (projects with 1000s of issues)

Nitin

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 06, 2013

Hi Nitin,

two workflow schemes because you mentioned, you have two workflow schemes. So I thought, they are somehow different. If they aren't, you don't need two of them.

Cheers

Thomas

thanks my friend.

actually - what i found to be working better was this..

1. Copy original workflow
  2. Edit copy
  3. Assign edited copy to relevant issue types in the workflow scheme
  4. When no issue types are assigned to the original workflow within the workflow scheme, it will automatically get removed form the scheme.

this saved me from having to 'Switch scheme' in each project that used the old workflow scheme.

That said - wouldnt have got there without your help. Thanks a tonne mate!

Thank you so much for posting this answer. IT WAS SO HELPFUL !!

I wasted about 2 hours before finding this answer.

I really don't like and understand why Atlassian had to make this SO COMPLEX, UNINTUTIVE, AND DIFFICULT TO USE. URGH !!

JIRA is now officially the most difficult tool to use at our disposal.

Agree, this part is

SO COMPLEX, UNINTUTIVE, AND DIFFICULT TO USE

I have some 3000 projects using same scheme.Hence I need to manually associate the new scheme with all the 3000 projects.Any other methods?

In 6.x, you can edit an active scheme. You don't have to do it project by project.

You also can automate such tasks with JIRA CLI https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JCLI/JIRA+Command+Line+Interface and a loop in any scripting language

Not entirely true, in 6.x you can update active workflows except for closed transition. You cannot add a transition (reopen) to closed transition while active.

I have workflow with global transition from everywhere to Closed.

But JIRA thinks Resolved is a terminal state! And doesn't allow to add outgoing transition, just like topic started described! 

Do you have "close" permission in your permission scheme ? Or is there any condition registered in your transition to "Closed" that may prevent it to be available for your user ?

The case is about inability to save draft workflow. Jira allows to edit active workflow then refuses to save your work. You must abandon your changes and create a copy of workflow then edit it and replace old workflow with a new in the scheme.

It's just great how they tell you you can't do this after you've spent all the time adding the transitions...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,799 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot