Added a Status and it now shows up in many workflows that it was not directly added

steven.hartsock October 9, 2019

Hello,

I created a new Jira project for a specific process.  Because of that I needed specific Status fields for the workflow.  I added additional Status fields and added them to the workflow for the project.  Now they are appearing in a ton of workflows where they were not directly added.  

Can someone provide me any information on how this might have happened and how i can back it out.  

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2019

Hi Steven - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you give a screenshot of the diagram of the workflow? 

Also, can you give a screenshot of other workflows where the new statuses are showing up? 

And finally, which statuses are the new statuses?

Hello John,

here is the workflow that i'm working on:  Workflow in the project.png

The new status are Investigating, Root Cause Identified, Waiting for Review.

When i look at the Status screen there are 49 workflows now associated with Investigating.  It should not be in most of those.

Here is a screenshot of one of the 49 workflows that it was added:  

where status values are showing up.png

Thanks for your insights!

Like Roger Hughes likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2019

Agreed - it looks like the name of one of the statuses was changed to Investigating. Do you know what the original name of the Status was? 

To change it, go to Jira Settings > Issues > Statuses and change the name of Investigating to the original name that it should be. 

Then you can add Investigating to the single workflow as initially intended. 

Thanks John, that seems to have worked.  I sincerely appreciate your insights!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2019

Great! Can you do me a favor and click on the Accept answer button to close this one out then? Thanks!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2019

Hi @steven.hartsock 

Check if you have made changes to a workflow that was shared across multiple Jira projects. If so, you will have to first take a copy of the workflow and then associate it only with the single project before making any changes.

thanks for the feedbac Gikku;

the workflow is specific to the project.  When i look at the workflow there are transitions ids that do not make sense as the fields are not in the workflow.  

In the screenshot, you can see Step Name "Open", has a Transition to In Progress (11)>>Investigating...etc.  All of those transitions are not valid.  However when i look at the diagram it just shows to all.  Annotation 2019-10-09 102915.png

Did I mix something up when creating a transition that is now going to other fields in other projects?  
- if i delete the workflow completely will it back out the status in those other fields in the other projects?  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2019

Workflows do not "go to fields".

The (part of the) workflow you are showing is of the transitions from Open to other states (status).  The transitions are all "valid", or they would not there.

Are you sure you are looking at the workflow you intended to look at?

Hello Nic, 

yes this is the workflow for the project.  The transitions to those status values should not be in there as they are not the status options i'm using for this workflow.  

It appears that the linkage here is causing the new status value to show up in other workflows.  

Thanks again for any input.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2019

This is what confuses me.  You say "the transitions to those status ... are not the status options I'm using in this workflow".  Those transitions simply cannot be there unless you have their target status in your workflow.

You might not want the status there, but that is different (and means you need to edit your workflow).  A transition cannot exist in a workflow without their target status being there, so the status you are saying are not there, well, are there.

Workflows are also isolated from each other. All but one change you can make in a workflow has no effect on any of the others.

The exception is that they do share status.  It is from a global list.  You can add what you want, but if you rename an existing status in one workflow, it will rename it globally for all the others that share that status.  The links between status in one workflow have nothing to do with other workflows.

I think you've been renaming global status names, instead of adding new ones when you need them.

0 votes

It appears that somehow the name of status values in multiple projects changed.  When i created workflow and added the new steps with Linked Status.  Would that have replaced the name of the status in the workflows that used that Linked Status?

Is there a way to back out so that the name displayed in the other workflows returns to their previous label?

Suggest an answer