Add component(s) to all projects

Razvan Radulescu May 15, 2017

Hello All,

We have a couple of components that need to be added to every project in our JIRA instance (we're on JIRA Cloud). Is there a way to bulk add these somehow?

I have found this KB: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-bulk-import-components-into-jira-720418562.html and option 2 seems to be what I need, but nowhere does it state that this route will add that issue to all projects. 

Thank you,

Razvan

6 answers

5 votes
Elisa Chacon September 24, 2019

We also need global components.  Adding a component project by project is a pain.

4 votes
bryan April 23, 2020

is there global component now ?

Vincent April 27, 2020

Nope :(

bryan April 27, 2020

this is frustrating. can you put this in your product log ?

Like Peter likes this
Joe Yesh June 17, 2020

Yeah, This is the most awaited feature that is being asked by many from 2015 what I see in other forums too.
Jira should not just go by votes, they should also think of present issues & metrics that everyone to get quick hold of count in a hierarchical way to look their issue against their projects.

I upvote to have this feature shortly.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-8663 - Any still need to vote, please do so. 

Like Peter likes this
Wade Hephner June 24, 2020

Vote early and often. 

4 votes
David Kearney March 2, 2020

any update on this?? we also need it asap

Vincent March 20, 2020

Same here.

Like Peter likes this
1 vote
Rich Kentopp September 16, 2020

Plz to make components global ok thx

1 vote
Jenn Sherman September 11, 2020

I hacked this for us by creating a new drop down field with the "component" values I wanted everyone to see.  I then added the field to all the relevant issue types.

Steven Ventimiglia September 16, 2020

Using your approach is there a way to add more than one component, per issue?

Jenn Sherman September 17, 2020

If you create your field as a multi-select drop-down, you should be able to do that

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2017

To ge the method you've found to work, you will need to repeat the contents of the import file for every project you have (plus repeat deleting the loading issues)

You might be able to do this with the ScriptRunner add-on for Cloud, but I would actually start with some external scripting or coding.  Write something on your computer that can use REST to read the current list of projects and add the components to each of them.

However, I'd also think carefully before doing this.  Components are project specific.  If you add the "same" component to all projects, they're still separate components.  If, for example you have "penguins" in five projects and you search and push the result through a gadget displaying "component", you will get five separate lines, one for each penguin.

Razvan Radulescu May 15, 2017

So, no UI way to do this? :) I'm not a programmer, just the admin.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2017

No, there's no way to do it in the UI,

This is because it's mostly useless - people generally don't want swathes of "global" components that are not actually global.  (We do want proper global components, but adding the differnet components to projects with the same name is not a global component)

Kateri Tyre August 2, 2018

This is super important for our team, too. I desperately want global components. How can I add fuel to this feature request. It's something Clubhouse and Trello do with ease. This team is aiming to shift tracking tools to Jira in order to take advantage of the sophisticated metrics, but without this global component list to be able to associate with all projects, we lack the ability to get the metrics we need. This may mean that we abandon the push to Jira entirely. 

That being said, I've been digging through these forums for far too long to get an answer for what seems to be a common request and I've got forum fatigue. 

Is there another field we can leverage that we can populate with a global list of our things (in our case: microservices) in order to associate with each project? We would also want to filter this for searches and reporting.

Please halp. Jira terminology is profoundly confusing.

Like Peter likes this

Suggest an answer