Add a Project to an existing Portfolio

Alfonso Fiore September 9, 2016

Hi,

I'm new to Jira. We are using JIRA software with a 2-3 weeks visibility and we are testing Portfolio for our mid-long term planning (2 to 6 months).

We have the following setup:

• a Kanban board where stories travel from creation, to analysis, to UX, to creative, to "ready for dev"
  • a dev board ("to do", "in progress", "done")

When I created the initial Portfolio I only imported the dev board, not the Kanban board.

I'd like to know if I can do the following:

• Can I now add all stories from the Kanban to my Portfolio without recreating the Portfolio from scratch? I simply would like to see every story from both my boards and assign them to their correct epic and initiative.
  • Can I make so that stories committed from Portfolio go to Kanban (obviously now they go to the dev board but this is not the right setup for us)

thank you

alfonso

2 answers

2 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2016

Yes, you can add a new board to an existing plan. You can find the Issue sources tab under Configuration, which guides you through the process of adding a new board again.

You can create issues directly into the projects related to the plan. It will remember your last choice, so just change the project selector (while creating an issue inline in Portfolio) to your desired project and it will stay there.

0 votes
Derek Huether September 30, 2016

I've discovered that adding projects or boards is hit or miss. Creating a Plan from scratch works like a champ. Adding to the plan has issues. I go to Configuration and add a Board. The new board does not inherit the project icon and even after I add it to the teams, not all issues show every time. (have to delete and add the board a few times)  See image below.  Teams 1-4 look great. Team 5 was added to the plan.

Screenshot 2016-09-30 13.34.26.png

Suggest an answer