Can I add the placeholder attribute to a custom JIRA field in order to present additional info?
It seems I have control over the following properties for a given field:
Edit Field Details:
Configure Custom Field:
But I can't find anywhere to modify the placeholder text
The placeholder attribute isn't guaranteed across every browser, but it would be a nice touch to provide additional information for supported browsers.
Here's a complete list of custom field configurations, but I don't see it there.
1. As the simpliest option - modify "atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\templates\plugins\fields\edit\edit-basictext.vm" this velocity and add placeholder ability (i.e. use description as a placeholder)
2. You can develop your own custom field with full support of placeholders in input.
Just to flesh out option 1
1) You'll have to find your home directory and then navigate to
On my instance, it was right here:
2) Then open up the velocity templace file named edit-basictext.vm
Then add the following code to the input element:
3) You'll need to refresh the template cache after making changes:
I couldn't quite get it to work, but that was what I had tried so far.
Is there any other solution since 2014 to put a placeholder in the comment ?
Actually, we use the comment to create a new JIRA on another project. In this case, we have to type some specific information and sometimes, some are forgotten. So the placeholder should be very useful.
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events