About changes to the Select List

So basically, from JIRA point of view, I see three actions:

1. Add a new entry to the list.
  2. Rename an existing entry.
  3. Remove an existing entry.

I’ve done some testing, the result is as follows:

1. When an entry is renamed, the existing records automatically have this field renamed to the new value. No issue here.
  2. When an entry is removed, the existing records will have this field empty with no value. This is NOT what we want.
  3. If we add back the removed entry, the existing records will still have this field empty with no value.

The question is how shall we handle the "Remove"? What's the best way to achieve this? Is there a way to keep the field value in the existing records when an entry is removed from the list?

Thanks

Jirong

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

Quite simply - do not remove them.  They have to be there to support the values in the fields. 

Disable the options you don't want to see any more, as you were told the other day when you asked a similar question.

I've done some testing, Disable is exact what we want. I forgot I've posted another thread. Thanks.

0 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion Sep 21, 2015

The question is how shall we handle the "Remove"? What's the best way to achieve this? Is there a way to keep the field value in the existing records when an entry is removed from the list?

When you remove the Option, you are removing the Option object. That's why all Issues will lose that value. Probably you can copy that value to another field using a custom listener to listen to a change on that field.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,265 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot