• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Ability to create multiple Epic issue types with different names in the same project

I have a project that occasionally uses Epics, so I need to keep that alive, but I have a custom issue type that we currently create subtasks under. Due to the nature of our evolving operations, I need to re-build this issue type as an Epic type so that I can nest Issues under it. Currently, simply linking issues is not sufficient, because of how the interface handles these links. I need to be able to edit them from the parent issue, but unlike Epic links and subtasks, there is no way to do this without first going into the task and making the change.

I have found a way to [unlock the custom fields|https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-unlock-a-locked-field-779158866.html], but unable to modify or create a custom Epic Link Relationship type field.

I have been instructed to do this without purchasing additional add-ons, and am stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes

Jira Software only supports using Epics as Epics.  You can't have others.

There are no add-ons that add other types either.  The best you can do is add Portfolio to get other similar grouping functions (but they won't be Epics) or the Structure add-on, which allows you more layers in terms of nesting (but still won't use the Epic functions)

Is there a way to nest a full issue type as a child under a parent issue type and get the basic functionality you see with Epic links or Sub-tasks.

Essentially, we are likely going to move to Service Desk, and Customers cannot see Subtasks, so we have to make all of those a full issue, but to do that, we have to nest them as just basic links.

We're going to Service desk to free up user seats and overall reduce cost. I can't purchase another add-on at this time, so was hoping I could do some configuration/database kung-fu to get this to work.

No, the Epic functionality is built to work for Epics.  To use non-Epics, you've already got the right idea - use issues and link to them.

Nic, thank you for your response.

Is there any way to nest a full issue type as a child under a parent issue type (as a hierarchical relationship) and get the basic functionality you see with Epic links or Sub-tasks.

No.  Again, Epic functionality works for Epics only.  Then you have issues and sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you