403 Forbidden on POST method of /rest/api/2/issue however get works

Hello,

I am using the /rest/api/2/issue API of JIRA. I am successfully able to use Get for below URL

https://futuregroupb.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/LHEL-24

but i get 403 forbidden error on POST with basic authentication which i used in GET method.

The POST method works absolutely fine on curl command.

Please help.

Thanks

Ramneek

7 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

If it works with curl, what is different about the call you are making with whatever is failing?

Hello,

Only the client is different, i fire the Curl command from Linux command line which works fine, but when try to hit the API using the AJAX jquery call (using the same authenticatio), i get 403 forbidden error

attached is my JS File, i have intentionally hidden the password here

Thanks

Ramneek

I don't know enough about javascript to help you with that, but it must be the call in that trying to do the wrong thing.

What was the solution? I've currently a similar issue in a CORS scenario - so GET's against the API work but a POST to create a new issue throws a 403...

I too got the same error 403 forbidden error when trying to access rest-api using POST/PUT method and my code was as follows,

AP.require(['request'], function(request) {
request({
url: 'https://mysite.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/XYZ-5',
type: 'POST',
contentType: 'application/json',
data: {
"fields": {"description": "testing"}
},
beforeSend: function (xhr) {
xhr.setRequestHeader ("Authorization", "Basic " + btoa(" user : password "));
},
success: function(response) {
alert("success");
},
error: function (response) {
alert('fail... ');
}
});
});

Did you get any idea to fix the 403() status response. How, to overcome this and edit an existing issue using rest api with POST method. 

And also have questioned regarding Edit and Update issues here.

Or if using CURL can fix this error, how to use this code based on CURL code within request.

Can you please try "data: JSON.stringify(sendInfo)". I am not sure here but you can try.

sorry but it gives me the same error

Also the URL i hitting expects a JSON in the request

Is anyone having the answers to the questions posted above. I am having the same issue.

I'm sure they discovered that they were not providing the right user details.  This is the usual pattern when a discussion about 404's over REST stops with no-one making follow-up comments.

I'm still having this same issue. I don't think user credentials are the issue, as making GET requests, and POST requests via CURL both work fine with the same credentials. Making the call via AJAX for what it's worth. Any ideas?

Has anyone solved this issue? I'm also having the same problem. The curl command works completely fine, however when I try POST method with the same credentials and same datas on my code, it returns 403.

March 2018

This issue also occurs with using `/rest/auth/latest/session`. This is using AP.request to send the AJAX call (so CORS is not a factor).

* POST request with {username, password} json data

* with or without header Basic Auth, JWT auth

But the same POST request works with Postman (with only content-type json in the header).

Can you check the scopes object in your atlassian-connect.json file? I ran into this same issue and found out I only had the READ scope by defailt. I added WRITE scope as well and it worked like a champ.

"scopes": [ "READ", "WRITE" ]

Also, be sure to update your script to use the new AP.request method as the one listed above is deprecated. See docs here

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

81 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you