2 transition with the same name

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

Hello friends,

It is possible to use the same name, for 2 different transitions:
ex. 

From Status A to status B transition name: Approved

From Status A to status C transition name: Approved

Could you please help me?

3 answers

2 votes
Amit Girme September 18, 2019

Hi @Cristian Ionescu ,

Yes, it is possible; but you need some extra efforts. 

1. Add from Status A to status C transition name: Approved
  2. From the diagram-editor Add from Status C to Status C by reuse transition of point 1.
  3. Delete the transition from point 1.
  4. Add new transition From Status A to status B transition name: Approved
  5. From the diagram-editor Add from Status A to Status C by reuse transition of point 2.
  6. Delete the transition from point 2.

Hope this will help you and others. If so please accept the answer or let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks,

-Amit

1 vote
Deleted user September 2, 2020

Even if it comes a bit late: You can solve the problem with invisible UTF-8 symbols. For example you can add U+2028 to the additional transitions. This is the "line separator", which is accepted by Jira as part of a transition name. Since the character does not take up space, you can repeat it as often as you like without changing the look of the button in the interface. Alternatively, you can create several identical spacing by combining UTF-8-spaces of different widths, which represent different character sequences and are therefore accepted by Jira as different. Here too, the identical appearance is retained in the user interface.

(Get a bunch of handy spaces here: https://emptycharacter.com/)

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

Hello @Cristian Ionescu 

Yes you can have a same transition re used for issue moving to different statuses.

As a example I am attaching this screenshot for your reference. You can see that Close transition is used twice in the workflow.

Picture1.png

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2019

Just to clarify, that only works if everything but the destination of the transition is identical. If Approve from A to B has different conditions, validators, post functions, etc. than Approve from A to C would (which is fairly common), then you can't re-use the transition, and you can't have two separate Approve transitions with the same name. 

This is one of the things that drives me nuts about Jira, as having transitions with slightly different names is confusing to our end users, who this should be transparent to.

Deleted user August 3, 2021

hi @Vishwas !

Could you explain to me how did you set up the Close transition in your screenshot? 

I try to create a very similar transition, where one transition can be used to connect multiple originating statuses to the same, 'Closed' status. And I don't want to repeat the same post functions x times.

Edina

Amit Girme August 17, 2021

@[deleted] when you edit any workflow there are two ways to update it Diagram or Text. If you want to reuse the existing transition to any status you can do it using the Digram mode. This way you don't need to write same post function multiple time.

workflow.png

Deleted user August 18, 2021

Thank you @Amit Girme! it works like charm! :) 

Like Amit Girme likes this

Suggest an answer