Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visualized Priority Ranking

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2023

Sharing this because I had asked and poked around and could not find a good way to "visualize" a prioritization ranking on issues. There is the ranking that Jira does when issues are moved around within a roadmap, a backlog, or a board, but there is no way to visualize this within the issues themselves. For our use case, the ranking is also tied to the issue type. There is an open ticket with Atlassian (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-15444) for a visualization of their rank field, but it's been open since 2017, so I figured I'd attempt something myself.

I ended up creating a field called "Prioritized Rank" along with automation rules that will increment/decrement the rank based on:

• Editing of the "Prioritized Rank" field on an issue
  • Transitioning into or out of a "Done" status category

I'm sure there are some drawbacks (it's disassociated with the Jira Rank field) and it won't be for everyone, but so far, it is working out great for our needs and if someone else can benefit from it (even if some tweaking is necessary), then that's why I wanted to share!

Here's the automation rule that is triggered when the "Prioritized Rank" field is edited:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

7.jpg

The automation rules that trigger based on the status transition are a simplified version of the above. They just increment or decrement all of the "Prioritized Rank" values that are greater than or equal to the value in the issue that was transitioned.

One last thing... I am not saying that the above method is the best and only way to do something like this. Just that, this is working for our needs. However, if there is any feedback, I'd love to hear it. I'm sure there are scenarios I may not have considered, so let me know!

1 comment

Comment

Jan Grant
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 6, 2023

Any chance you can share what got cut off in the JQL branch rule?

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 3.11.40 PM.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events