Multiple workflows for a single issue type Edited

We would like to be able to apply multiple workflows to a single issue type, and pick the workflow on a per form basis.

This doesn't appear to be how it works as I did find this answer to the question: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/Multiple-workflows-for-an-issue-type/qaq-p/207307

So I was wondering what the best practice for this is?

We will potentially have hundreds of different workflows, but we don't really want to have to set up hundreds of issues types. Service Request - laptop, Service Request - new server, Service Request - password reset feels a bit messy.

Hoping you can advise on how best we could handle it!

2 comments

Maarten Cautreels Community Champion Apr 04, 2017

In the mindset of JIRA it's better to create multiple issue types and use that field to define what type of work it is and what type of workflow it requires.

The issue type is meant to indicate what type of work the issue is about. A particular type of work might require a different workflow from the other. If the workflow is slightly different depending on some properties of the type of work. You could use conditions to tweak the workflow a bit depending on those properties.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

Joe Pitt Community Champion Apr 04, 2017

I've used this approach and it works well if there isn't big differences in the workflow. The laptop and server request may be very similar, but I'd put the password reset as a seperate issue type.  

Hi Maarten, 

Thanks for your reply, that does make sense, but I'm just a bit concerned that we're going to end up with hundreds of issue types! And that the issue types might be hard to keep tabs of. Do you know from your own experience, what the average number of issue types that a company ends up having? :-)

Thanks!

When you say "hundreds of workflows", that's probably not true.  You probably have many different activities involved, but they're more about data items.

For a simple example, you might think you have different workflows for "Fix laptop" and "Fix tablet", but the processes involved in doing them are described in the same way.  There's differences in the data (type of hardware to replace, or a person's expertise).  Similarly, the process for an upgrade on those two is going to be the same - engineer gets hardware, does something to it, gives it back.

I would step back from your workflows and do some basic analysis on them.  When they're reflecting broadly similar processes, they should be the same workflow.  You can even merge similar ones by providing multiple routes through them with different conditions (e.g. for a machine fix that has a location the same as the allocated engineer, you don't bother to go through the "book site visit" part of the workflow)

Perhaps we're planning to do this in a way that's slightly different to standard. We're going to have 15 distinct IT teams running out of one Service Desk project. Each team will get their own queue, and the front end forms will determine what happens to each request that comes in, and which teams form it ends up in. 

Each team will then have a series of dashboards that they use to manage their queue on a more granular level. 

However this does mean that the likelihood is we will end up having somewhere between 50-100 distinct workflows from go live of the product. Things like adding a new shared mailbox has a very distinctive workflow that may have several stages at the beginning which are similar to other requests that come in, will end up being distinct at the end. Where it will require six or seven steps that won't be the same as other requests. 

For complicated workflows like this, would you still recommend going down the one workflow with multiple routes or will that get too messy? 

Comment

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

472 views 2 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you