Attachment fields in Jira Service Management Server, Data Center and Cloud

David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

File Field JSM Social (2).gif

How are you handling your attachments in your Jira Service Management?

1. One single field for all attachments?
  2. One dedicated field per type of attachment?

The best practice is to have attachments in dedicated fields, for more clarity and structure. That way, some can be required and others optional for your customers.

What's the best way to implement it?

Jira Service Management Cloud

Atlassian is working on Forms attachments fields, soon be available!

Jira Service Management Server/DC

You can use the File Field Jira App.

Files will be stored in the same folder than your Jira attachments, so if you decide to stop using the App or migrate to JSM Cloud, you can easily move back all your attachments to the standard Jira attachment fields.

And you, what are you using for your attachments?

2 comments

Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

Hi, 
At a company where I manage Jira (Software & Service Management Server), they use File Field Jira App.

One of the reasons to use the app is to force when creating an issue that certain types of attachments are added.
People are very satisfied with the app.
What they missing is being able to email (with Email this issue) attachments from the file fields.

Regards, Marco

screenshot of a part of request type screen with File Field Jira App fields

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 11.31.44.png

Like David Berclaz likes this
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

Hi @Marco Brundel

Thanks for your comment, happy to read that users are happy with File Field!

Yes, I remember your support ticket from last year, about Email This Issue App not supporting 3rd party custom fields in their exports.

The workaround was to automatically copy the files uploaded in your File Fields to your Jira Attachments, using ScriptRunner. Since then, we have documented this use case in our product documentation.

Have a great day,

David

Like Marco Brundel likes this
frank_brennan March 21, 2023

Jira cloud JSM project - is this feature available yet, the ability to locate attachments at locations other by than by using the top of the form workaround?

Like David Berclaz likes this
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

Hi @frank_brennan

Not yet as I understood. And I couldn't find the announced date. Let me know if you find something. Also, you can refer to my latest article about Attachment Fields for JSM Cloud (Forms).

Cheers,

David

Comment

AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events