Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Preview of form attachment fields, comments welcome

Simon Herd Atlassian Team May 02, 2022

Hi everyone, I'm the product manager for Forms in JSM.

We are about to start development on supporting attachment fields in Jira, which we know is the top ask from people building forms. 

The link below will take you to a preview of our plans for attachment fields in JSM Forms/ProForma.

It would be great to hear from you about:

• Meet your needs: Will these designs meet your team's particular needs or use cases?
  • Validation options: Are we providing enough, do they make sense?
  • General feedback: Have we missed anything?

attachments preview.gif

https://www.loom.com/share/ce04aee49faf4f45bcf24fea024b187f

Disclaimer: These are just prototypes and the end result may vary, but it's an indication of where we are heading.

Please leave your comments below.

36 comments

Jack Brickey Community Leader May 02, 2022

@Simon Herd , this looks really good and I know it is of course a top quest. I don't see anything that is negative or would not be my immediate needs.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey Community Leader Nov 22, 2022

@Simon Herd , I was taking another look at this today as I have a new requirement to include attachments within conditional sections. Meaning, I am creating dynamic sections based on selection criteria of given fields. I believe that your current implementation plans will cover this given that there yes the ability to provide multiple attachments which will be the case for my new client. I would welcome an early look at this as soon as it's available.

Jack Brickey Community Leader Nov 29, 2022

@Simon Herd , FWIW here is an update on a recent use case. I am working to replace a homegrown web portal Interface. There is a scenario where the user will answer 20-30 pass/fail questions. I set up each of these questions as individual drop-down fields with pass/fail values. If any one of those questions results in a fail, then the user is presented with a screen to add attachments to back up the failure. In the current solution, even without attachments supported There is not a means of providing a single conditional section based on multiple fields. Granted, I realize this isn't specific to attachments, but I thought I would share it here.

@Simon Herd Looks good. Really looking forward to see this feature available soon.

Like # people like this

Looks great! This also covers everything we're currently missing when using Forms and having to add attachments.

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader May 03, 2022

Seems to be all we might need :)

Especially like the multiple attachment fields option, that will be very handy!

As far as filetypes go, if a combination of generic groupings is possible that would cover most already but I'm sure there might be some exotic formats that some companies might use which would be nice to either exclude or include.

I also wonder will this be a "allow" or "disallow" of the formats? Sometimes it's easier to just say "allow all except" instead of having to "allow x,y,z,.... "

Like # people like this

I agree with Dirk. 

The grouping is convenient and as long as there is a possibility of creating your own list  of extensions (e.g. *.png;*.jpg;*.tiff) it will cover most people needs.

Like Peter Preston likes this
Simon Herd Atlassian Team May 03, 2022

Thanks @Dirk Ronsmans and @Rudy Holtkamp they are some good ideas.

I do have a question. In the video at around 1:50 you can see the agent view and the attachments within the form. How is it represented in the form if you have multiple attachments? Will the attachments thumbnails be visible next to each other or will they be listed below each other? I prefer the first, due to the real estate it takes up. 

Simon Herd Atlassian Team May 11, 2022

@Rudy Holtkamp thanks for your question.

There are two patterns for displaying attachments. The first is the thumbnails with each file being displayed horizontally next to the other. The second pattern is for a table/list of attachments.

We definitely won't be displaying thumbnails vertically, if that's what you were asking (apologies if I misinterpreted your question); however, do you or anyone else have a view on thumbnails vs a list/table of attachments?

Hi @Simon Herd , you understood correctly. So we have a horizontally thumbnail option and a text/link list option. If we are in the mode of requirements:

Is it possible to size the thumbnails, e.g. can we choose the size from a drop down list or maybe provide the number of pixels?

Like Shaun Smith likes this
David Berclaz Community Leader May 03, 2022

@Simon Herd that's great news!
Finally a Cloud equivalent to our File Field App for Jira Server/DC 💪

Like # people like this
Simon Herd Atlassian Team May 03, 2022

@David Berclaz that's a great app 👏 and an awesome solution in the DC/Server space.

When ProForma was a separate marketplace app we faced the limitations in building a file field for cloud. It's nice to now be able to deliver this functionality to customers. 

David Berclaz Community Leader May 04, 2022

Thanks @Simon Herd, we'll make sure our customers considering a cloud migration are aware of the this new feature. Are there any plans to release Forms to Jira Software customers in the future?

Thanks for your question @David Berclaz. At the moment there are no definite plans for the public release of Forms in JSW; however, for existing cloud customers, or Server/DC customer migrating to cloud, who have used forms in JSW or JWM/Core, they will continue to have access to forms in these products.

Voting or commenting on this JAC issue should help the decision making process.  

Like David Berclaz likes this
David Berclaz Community Leader May 12, 2022

Thanks for the answer, I just voted for it.

@Simon Herd I find it disappointing we have to vote for it in JSW when in the forms release message you alluded to it being available.

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 11.54.21.png

Like Matthias likes this

Greetings Atlassian, great that you take this feature on your roadmap. May I suggest that you talk to the Apwide team, they have done it already, perhaps you may be interested in knowing that :) 

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh Community Leader May 04, 2022

@Simon Herd Looks good! Looking forward to seeing this new attachment fields feature in action in JSM Cloud.

Are there any near future plans to make the Forms available for Jira Software and Jira Work Management Cloud products?

@Taranjeet Singh Thanks for your question. At the moment there are no definite plans for the public release of Forms in JSW or JWM; however, for existing cloud customers, or Server/DC customer migrating to cloud, who have used forms in JSW or JWM/Core, they will continue to have access to forms in these products.

Voting or commenting on this JAC issue should help the decision making process. 

Taranjeet Singh Community Leader May 12, 2022

Thank you for the clarification, @Simon Herd !

Fantastic update!
It looks good enough to push out the door already ;)

I found this literally minutes after asking "Apwide File Field" creators for an update to cloud!

I like the idea of generic file types, but am also leery if it does not include a editable list(s) of extensions files may be missed or excluded to a customers chagrin.

Whitelist vs Blacklist of uploadables? (beyond scope?)

Cheers

CJ

Thanks @CJ Edwards. I hear you on the non-editable list of file types. We are leaning towards having a few common options and then allowing people to type in a list of file extensions they will accept (whitelist).

We have considered offering whitelist and blacklist (allow/disallow), but our thinking is that the usage of blacklist/disallow will be far less than whitelist/allow, so initially we will only offer a whitelist option.  I believe that for most use cases you can achieve the same result with a whitelist, even if you have to type a few more extensions.

Like CJ Edwards likes this

Hi @Simon Herd,

Firstly, the prototype looks great. Looking forward to its release. It is great that you share a video

I had a great discussion with an agent and came up with food for thought/consideration for attachments in form.

What will happen to attachments once a customer or agent downloads a form submission as a pdf? Are the attachment automatically downloaded (as separate documents), are there links to attachments in the submission pdf, a new option in the dropdown to download form and attachments at the same time, or (preferably) does the downloaded pdf have attachments as embedded files?

CleanShot 2022-05-17 at 11.49.40.png

We have a use case about grant applications where an agent should share the form submission (including attachments - up to 3 files) with an external panel (outside Jira). Currently, you need to download the form and attachments separately (which is not great).

Kind regards,

Milad

Simon Herd Atlassian Team May 17, 2022

@Milad Sayad great questions and thank you for taking the time to consider this issue. Grants management is an area I know well and I can understand the need to share the information.

We weren't contemplating changing the download options for the form, but you do provide an interesting example for where it could be useful. As for the PDF contents itself I believe we will be providing a list of file name (possibly with links to the attachment, but this is still to be confirmed).

There is a reasonable work around however; if you automatically create a pdf of the form on submission (a new option we are just rolling out) you could use the Download all attachments option from the attachments panel (docs are here). This would work fine for the initial application and attachment. 

Again thank you for your feedback (and everyone else's too), we are taking it on board and considering what we can include in the scope of this work. 

Cheers,

Simon 

Like Milad Sayad likes this

Thanks, @sim

As per the workaround, it would be great. However, this works with the assumption that all attachments belong to the form where attachments can come from multiple sources (e.g., another form, agent, or customer comment). In this case, it would be good if there will be an indication as to whether attachments belong to any form and, if yes, which form (maybe by adding a prefix to the attachment name)?

Ideally, the attachment of the form should sit right underneath the form submission pdf (under the Jira attachment panel) and perhaps indented in (I understand that is Jira core functionally which you do not want to touch. As I said, consider this as food for thought. :D)

Regards,

Milad

Like Simon Herd likes this

@Simon Herd I would like to see that attachments added in the form are also added in the PDF. Maybe with a selector on the attachment field to include/exclude it in the PDF.

I've got different use cases like creating a PDF of a form, which should be approved as a whole. Or another to send the PDF which includes attachments to another application. 

Will that be possible?

This is EXACTLY what we need, any chance it will be ready in the next 3 weeks. We are about to go live with Phase 1 of a JSM deployment and people are unhappy about not being able to attach files to tickets on the forms we have built.
This would be amazing to have live.

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader May 21, 2022

Considering these are prototypes I think we will need to wait a little longer :)

Yeh I know, I was hoping really... just facing a bit of push back in some areas where some functionality isn't quite the same and this is one of them - hoping for a win :)

Simon Herd Atlassian Team May 22, 2022

@Steven Lees-Smith dev will start soon, but we won't make three weeks sadly. 

Like Steven Lees-Smith likes this
Simon Herd Atlassian Team Aug 23, 2022

Just an update on this thread. Out initial plans to start development in June were delayed (FWIW the team were tasked with handling a variety of situations where you could have fields marked as required on the request/issue type, but were missing or hidden in the form; the result being that in certain situations forms couldn't be submitted).

Work is now starting on attachments and we hope to roll out to customers starting early next quarter.

Like # people like this

Thanks for the update @Simon Herd , that all looks and sounds great!

We are really looking forward to this feature.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks for the update, this looks great!

@Simon Herd my apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, is this feature being worked on for the Server/Data Center offering of ProForma, or is it cloud only?

Hi Simon,

Thanks for plan on adding attachment field, May you please update the tentative date when the Attachment feature for forms will be made available for Jira Cloud??

Like # people like this

@Abdul Majeed Syed the start date for development was delayed; however, we having the technical kick off with the development team tomorrow (August 25). It's very unlikely that we will get this built and rolled out to 100% of customers before the end of this quarter; however, you should definitely expect it before the end of 2022.

Like # people like this

Thanks for the update @Simon Herd  , much appreciated

Great feature... When will this be active in JIRA software?

Like # people like this

@Manish Arya if you are fortunate enough to have forms enabled in your JSW, then yes attachments will work within your forms in JSW.

Like William Kennedy likes this

@Simon Herd you mentioned if forms are enabled in Jira Software Cloud that attachments will work, however that does not seem to be the case for me. In my form builder, I do not see an attachment field type. Is there some additional config required? Thanks

After testing the current feature addition to clone Attachments to another project, this works great. Thank you. 

Currently with the new form tool, it only allows the attachment field to be placed at the very top when a form is used. this works but doesn't look the greatest. 

I'm excited to see this has been taken into consideration already. looking forward to this

Great work @Simon Herd  and team! 

Like # people like this

@Simon Herd I am really looking forward to this feature. I am teaching myself how to use the Atlassian suite as I do some work form ym church. Atlassian is a great way to streamline a lot of work currently done, and I have been using formsite for forms to allow end users to upload documents for registration forms. Having this in JSM will be a great addition! 

Any timelines as yet? Are there any quick workarounds or should i remain on the edge of my seat! Great work with what you are doin!

Benjamin

Attachments in Forms would be really nice feature as currently the Forms solution doesn't have attachment so I am adding an attachment field in request type itself which shows below form, and this is not very good UX. Would really like to move this field to the bottom and also it would be nice to place it between sections and show it conditionally.

Definitely waiting for it! 

I would LOVE the ability to add even one attachment in Forms! The add multiple attachments to forms would be so helpful and validation options would be nice to have also. Looking forward to the updates!

The only thing which is still open are attachment.

The best would be to have the attachment in the fields they were attached to - instead of grouped together under attachment.

Ula

Hi @Simon Herd 

Is there an update on when this will be released?

I would very much like to use forms, but this is a showstopper for us and the workaround is not acceptable for my team :( 

Kind regards,
Sandra

Like # people like this

Hi @Simon Herd ,

Is there an ETA on this attachment feature. Similiar to Sandra .. would love to use this feature in a new project we have here.

thanks of any info.

Like # people like this

@Simon Herd Wondering the same as the commenter above!

@Simon Herd when will this feature be available?

It's very unlikely that we will get this built and rolled out to 100% of customers before the end of this quarter; however, you should definitely expect it before the end of 2022.

So, within 3 weeks! Can't wait. 🥳

Like # people like this

Wow, great news. My 2023 will have a good start. 

@Simon Herd Could you confirm?

Hope to see this soon!

Comment

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events