Using Automation for Jira to create notifications about changes on project configuration

Hello Atlassian Community.

I'm Thiago Masutti and I work as a Premier Support at Atlassian helping Atlassian administrators with our on-prem products such as Jira and Confluence.

Working with product support we often get inquires about something that may not be an out-of-the-box feature of the product.
On these cases we are tasked to translate the use case to a feature request and let the customer know about an existing or a new issue JAC (jira.atlassian.com).

Sometimes we may share suggestions based on our experience on how to implement the wanted feature.

Atlassian products can be customized on a variety of ways and Automation for Jira is a great tool to extend Jira's feature set.

A request I recently worked on from a customer was related to notifications on Jira, which was in summary as below

Let's say you manage a Project with a group of administrators and all are entitled to make Project configuration changes without the need for approvals.

It would be great if Jira could advise, through a notification, Project administrators about the change that was applied.

Jira doesn't have by default in its notification scheme a way to advise when Project level configuration has changed.
This is reported as a feature request in JRASERVER-1984 - Notification of project events - and there was no suggested workaround for it.

With Automation for Jira (A4J) being bundled on Jira Data Center it has become an interesting tool to implement these types of workarounds, specially because Project Administrators might be able to manage Automation rules (depending on the instance configuration).

This post describes a way to help getting notified about Project configuration changes.

This shouldn't be considered as a recommendation from Atlassian (or Atlassian Support), but as a suggestion on how to use A4J to extend the current feature set of the product.

Creating an automation rule to send a notification for project configuration changes

As a Project Administrator you will need to rely on the following features:

You should create and safely store a personal access token.

This must be created from an account with project administrator permissions on the target project, which could be from your personal account.

jira-personal-token.gif

Project administrators have access to the project audit log with entries about changes on the project configuration.

The Project admin can create filters for the specific areas they would like to audit.
For example, below is a filter selecting only some events associated to Project Components. 

jira-project-audit-3.gif

Below is an example when applying a similar filter while checking for the network requests made from the browser to the Jira backend server.

jira-project-audit-log-img001.png

As highlighted above, this feature relies on an internal API method /rest/auditing/1.0/events, which provide a JSON list with the results of the filter - this is an internal API which is subject to changes on Jira version upgrades.

The API structure is as below:

<Jira-Base-URL>/rest/auditing/1.0/events?affectedObject=PROJECT%2C<Project-ID>&from=<from-Date>&to=<to-Date>&actions=<list-of-selected-actions>&limit=100

Running a request to this API would give us an output similar to the below.

jira-project-audit-log-img002.png

Now we need to put all the pieces together in an Automation rule.

The Automation rule I'm describing here is just an example and the Project admin can change it as they need.

My goals with this rule are:

• Run the rule once a day at 6:00 AM.
  • Run the Audit log API and get any Component related changes that occurred on the day before.
  • In case changes occurred, create a message to a selected Slack channel.

I've created a scheduled trigger to run the rule every day based on a cron expression.

jira-a4j-trigger.png

Then I've created a send web request action to run the project audit log API.

jira-a4j-webrequest.png

Here's the request (webhook URL) I used and the explanation for some of the parameters:

https://5294-186-204-61-255.ngrok.io/j82010/rest/auditing/1.0/events?affectedObject=PROJECT%2C10400&from={{now.minusDays(1).toStartOfDay.jiraDateTime.substring(0,19).concat("Z").urlEncode()}}&to={{now.toStartOfDay.jiraDateTime.substring(0,19).concat("Z").urlEncode()}}&actions=Project%20component%20created%2CProject%20component%20updated%2CProject%20component%20deleted&limit=100

• from={{now.minusDays(1).toStartOfDay.jiraDateTime.substring(0,19).concat("Z").urlEncode()}} – indicates yesterday at the start of the day using A4J smart values.
  • to={{now.toStartOfDay.jiraDateTime.substring(0,19).concat("Z").urlEncode()}} – indicates today at the start of the day using A4J smart values.

If you want to change how often the rule runs, these two smart values should be modified to prevent sending duplicated notifications.

With an advanced compare condition we check if the API response gives us any list of changes.

jira-a4j-compare.png

As the last piece of the puzzle, we need to use the send Slack message action to create the notification.

jira-a4j-slack-action.png

The message used in this example is as below.

Changes identified on *Kanban Project*:
{{#webhookResponse.body.entities}}
*Timestamp*: {{timestamp}}, *Author*: {{author.name}}, *Type*: {{type.action}}
{{/}}

Visit the <https://5294-186-204-61-255.ngrok.io/j82010/plugins/servlet/audit/resource/PROJECT,10400?meta.projectKey=KANPRO&meta.projectName=Kanban%20Project|project audit log> for more information.

When the rule is executed, the message in Slack looks like below.

slack-message.png

I hope this article was helpful to you.

If you would like to know more about Atlassian Support, check the Support Services page.

Kind regards,
Thiago Masutti
Premier Support Engineer | Atlassian

2 comments

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2022

Neat one!

I will try this out for sure :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2022

Very nice @Thiago Masutti . Now if I only had Premium. ☹️

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events