Understanding issue types in jira

64 comments

Abdelrahman ElRuby September 13, 2021

resolution for board page is now bigger and cannot revert back to original size and now i have to use scroll bar to check the rest of the board

Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2021

This is great content, thanks

mark wood October 13, 2021

Well, I find this is a great article for learning the basics of Jira issue types in a quicker manner. keep it up. Great piece of work.

Deleted user November 11, 2021

As  Product Manager, I need another level.  It would look something like this:

• Epic
    • Story
      • Task
        • Subtask

How can I accomplish this? 

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2021

Hi @[deleted]

Simple answer is that is not possible as Task and Story sit at the same level. What you could do though is use Advanced Roadmaps in JIRA and have initiatives as issue types which sit above Epics. 

• initiative
  • Epic
  • story OR task
  • Sub task

hope this helps,

Danny

Like # people like this
Deleted user November 12, 2021

Danny I'm not sure how to access the Advanced Roadmaps. I might be able to make this work..

Like Rajesh Viswanathan likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2021

You will need a JIRA cloud premium licence if you have JIRA cloud. 

Lucas Ferreira November 24, 2021

Which issue type would enable cross-epics mappings out of the box?

Robson January 26, 2022

Parabéns, muito próximo do Guia Scrum...leitura rápida, conteúdo de simples entendimento ...irei levar o artigo como uma colinha para utilizar nas inclusões de demandas no JIRA..

Like # people like this
Rob Williamson February 15, 2022

I have the following options for Issue types:

Issue

Task

Epic

I 'get' Epics (groups of tasks/issues) but what is the difference between Issue (Task) and Issue (Issue) ?

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2022

Hi @Rob Williamson ,

An issue is the terminology that Atlassian uses to define the ticket/task/bug/etc. 

It sounds as though you have an issue type known as task and another known as Issue. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Danny

Like # people like this
liocou March 4, 2022

C'est tout à fait explicite, et les exemples sont parlants pour une meilleure compréhension

Great Ancheta April 26, 2022

We are using Jira for software development and we have customer support also using another tool. When customer support raises a problem, it takes time to assess the problem before something is classified as a bug or maybe a change request story etc. what’s the best way to track these problems raised to us before they become bugs or stories ? 

Letícia Daniel May 10, 2022

Thanks a million!

Like # people like this
Freddy May 13, 2022

Awesome stuff , I have benefitted greatly as a new fellow here.

Please keep up the good works .

I am preparing for my ACP 620 exam , please give more references like this.

Kindest Regards

Monique Armstrong May 13, 2022

Thank you for this article... Very precise and clear using the standard Project Issue Types. I will definitely share with my Team.

Adam Sterrie May 30, 2022

When explaining issue types to users, I explain that an issue type is a different type of work, and there are only 3 types of work in the universe:

1. story: making something better than it is;

2. defect: fixing something that's fallen below what it should be; and

3. task or doing something which is neither story nor defect but has to be done to achieve the overall goal).

The rest is just "grouping".

I use an analogy of putting up some new shelves. Putting up the shelves is the story/improvement/new feature (it's all basically the same). Buying a drill is a task. Fixing the mess you made putting up the shelves is the defect. You can group issue types together [into epics] but it's just a grouping and you can group epics together into an Initiative which is still just a grouping. A child issue (sub-task or anything else) is just an issue that is split out of the parent but remains an intrinsic part of the parent. Otherwise it's a separate but linked issue.

Like Sophie Wright likes this
John S June 20, 2022

an eye opener

Like luis.ortiz likes this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2022

Excellent and easy to understand

Like luis.ortiz likes this
Rosana Ferreira Soares dos Santos September 18, 2022

Wow, what a rich material!  Just perfetc.

Lars Fessler October 5, 2022

Wow, easy to understand and to the point!

James Castell-Webb November 21, 2022

What a great way to explain the differences 

anhtranIFD December 28, 2022

Hi @Christina Nelson, thanks for your posts! The content is well-organized and goes straight to the purpose. I just have one concern that has not been mentioned in your post: The definition of Feature Development type in Jira. What is the difference between User story/Feature Development/Task? Does it the sub-type of User story? 

Screenshot 2022-12-29 114751.png

Eva Wrobel January 25, 2023

@Christina Nelson Well explained! I will forward the article to my new teammate who has no experience with Jira. 

bougares mourad February 6, 2023

Thank you for this clear presentation of the different issues type. it was a meaningfull way.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events