Introducing the burndown insight for Jira Software Cloud

Hi Community! I’m here to announce the launch of our burndown insight, available now in Jira Software Cloud for Scrum teams. This insight is designed to help you manage scope and make decisions from right within the context of your current sprint.

burndown1.png

We know that teams often turn to the burndown report in Jira Software to track their remaining work or decide whether something new can be pulled into the sprint. Now, you no longer need to navigate away from your sprint to find this information. The new burndown insight brings the power of the burndown report directly onto your board to help you make faster decisions and diagnose issues as easily as possible.

burndown 2.png

Where can I access the burndown insight?

The burndown insight can be found in the insights panel on your board view. To open this panel, click the board insights button in the top right-hand corner of your board.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 4.25.46 pm.png

How can the burndown insight help my team?

The burndown insight helps to visualise what work has been completed, and the total work remaining in your current sprint. This can help you predict your team’s likelihood of successfully achieving the sprint goal, and make data-driven decisions about any new work that arises during your sprint.

How do I read the burndown chart?

The grey line on this chart represents your team’s optimal sprint progress, and the blue line represents your team’s current progress. This blue line will fluctuate up as issues are added to the sprint, and down as they are completed. The discrepancy between these two lines can be used as a signal to indicate if the team has taken on too much (or not enough!) work, and whether the current sprint scope is achievable by the end of the sprint.

If the sprint’s scope exceeds your team’s current progress, the ‘heads up’ alert will surface on the insight to warn that your team is not currently on track to complete the work in the sprint. Otherwise, the ‘on track’ message will show.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 4.27.31 pm.png

We hope this insight can help your team make decisions, monitor progress and continuously improve work practices.

We’ve got lots of exciting new insights coming soon to your board and backlog, so stay tuned for those updates!

Lastly, please provide us with feedback via. the feedback button on the insights panel — we’re excited to hear what you think! Your feedback helps us to shape our roadmap and improve our product.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 4.29.02 pm.png

Can't see burndown on your board?

You may be experiencing an issue with the sprint creation date.

The sprint burndown insight currently requires data from sprints started after the insight rollout date (which was Monday 21 March). Try starting and creating a new sprint to see the burndown insight in action!

You can catch the burndown insight in action in our demo den video:

26 comments

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2022

It looks great :)

Any time frame for when it will support original time estimate?

The majority of the companies I work with don't use arbitrary values like storypoints.

Like martin griffiths likes this
Kevin S. March 21, 2022

I cant seem to access this yet. Are there any prerequisites to it or is it just not rolled out everywhere yet?

Anyways, im sure my scrum master colleagues will like this feature.

Like Jimi Wikman likes this
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2022

@Kevin S.I have it on all my instances, but maybe yours is still pending roll out or got stuck somehow.

Is it completely blank in both the backlog and active sprints, or do you have something there but the data is not showing?

Kevin S. March 21, 2022

@Jimi Wikman I do have insights in the backlog and in active sprints but Im missing this specific "sprint burndown" insight. E.g. "sprint progress" is available to me.

I assume its not rolled out over here yet, as I couldnt find the "sprint burndown "in any of the cloud sites that I have access to. (germany)

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2022

@Kevin S.double check the permissions. There is a new permission called "see aggregated data". Make sure you have that setup and the data should appear.

Like Kevin S. likes this
Kevin S. March 21, 2022

@Jimi Wikman Thats a good idea but I do have all permissions so I dont think this is the issue. Thanks though. :) 

Edit: I created a new project and it worked there. Not exactly sure why, but all good now. :)

Like Jimi Wikman likes this
Mauro Rivas March 21, 2022

ok

Mati Monguillot March 22, 2022

This is awesome! @Izzy Kohout 

I manage multiple Jira Projects (company-managed) but for some reason, I'm only seeing this "Sprint Burndown" Insight in only 1 of them.

In every project I can see the Insight panel, with Sprint Progress, Epic Progress, but not the Burndown.

Same config across these projects. The only difference I can think of is that this single project was created 1 or 2 months ago (by me), while the other ones are much older and created by someone else. (I'm an admin)

Any idea?

Thanks,

Izzy Kohout
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2022

Hi @Mati Monguillot

Thanks for your comment! 

You may be experiencing an issue with the sprint creation date.

The sprint burndown insight currently requires data from sprints started after the insight rollout date (which was Monday 21 March). You may be able to see it on these older projects if you create & start new sprints. 

Like Mati Monguillot likes this
Izzy Kohout
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2022

Hi @Jimi Wikman , thanks for your comment! 

We're currently considering & researching configuration/settings options for insights, including the ability to change the estimation method. 

Unfortunately, we don't have a timeframe for this yet as we are still gathering data. 

In the meantime, the burndown report (in the reports section of Jira) supports original time estimate. 

Like # people like this
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2022

@Izzy Kohoutany chance you could implement a setting to hide it on a project level?Or maybe even autohide based on the settings in estimation?

I get a lot of questions why this feature does not work at the moment, and it is more distracting than helpful for teams that use time based setups.

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2022

@Izzy Kohoutalso I really like this feature, so good job to the team working hard to make it happen :)

William Gorge March 28, 2022

Hello!

Awesome new feature thanks!

However, it seems the guideline includes the weekend as working days; it is possible to make it flat during the weekend?

thanks

Capture d’écran 2022-03-28 à 10.15.57.png

Like # people like this
Jeff Patterson March 30, 2022

Nice... any word on when this will be available for Data Center?

Maciej Szwalgin March 31, 2022

Nice feature - I started using it

Like Izzy Kohout likes this
Izzy Kohout
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2022

@Jeff Patterson Hi Jeff, thank you for your comment!

At the moment we don't have any work roadmapped to bring this to Data Center instances, unfortunately.

I've made a note of your feedback and will make sure to let you know if our plans for the Burndown insight change. 

Izzy Kohout
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2022

@William Gorge Hi William, thank you for your comment - glad to hear the burndown insight will be useful for you! 

At the moment, we don't support the ability to change the burndown insight or alter capacity on non-working days. That being said, I've made a note of your feedback and the fact that the ability to alter the graph to accomodate for custom non-working days would be useful for you. 

Modestas Garliauskas May 4, 2022

Looks great!

However the data on Insight doesn't match to the actual data what is on sprint. Seems like Insight is always showing larger number of story points than the ones shown on the Burndown report.

Is it somehow related to Beta? Or more like an issue on our board?

Like Ana Rosa likes this
Izzy Kohout
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2022

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions - I've made sure to note them all down and add them to our backlog of features & improvements to consider. 

I'd love to understand more about how our customers using this feature, and the other data-powered features (Insights, Reports, and/or dashboards)  in Jira Software.

If you're interested in sharing more about how you're using these features, I'd love to speak to you to understand how we can make them more useful for you.

Please grab some time on my calendar for a quick chat - I look forward to speaking to you!

https://calendly.com/ikohout/60min

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2022

The feature looks really good!

I was just noted by my colleague that burndown takes all story points from active sprint - including standard-issue types and sub-tasks. For some projects, our team is estimating work on sub-tasks, and by using Automation, we sum up story point values from sub-tasks to Stories and other standard-issue types.
As a result of that, Sprint burndown displays a total number of story points (standard issue types + sub-tasks).

Maybe it would be cool if you could configure which issue types (or at least hierarchy levels) are considered in the Sprint burndown?

Like # people like this
Sau - Sandro Augusto June 20, 2022

I cant see Sprint burndown insight. My tasks/stories have estimate in Story Points, but nothing happens

Captura de Tela 2022-06-20 às 10.24.27.png

Izzy Kohout
Atlassian Team
September 28, 2022

Hi @Tomislav Tobijas , thank you for your comment and so glad to hear that you're excited about the burndown insight!

The burndown insight currently does count sub-tasks, however, we are planning on removing support for subtasks to have a consistent experience with the burndown report - so only parent issue story points will be counted after this fix is implemented later this year. 

I've added your comment about configuring which issue types & hierarchies are counted in insights to our backlog for consideration and investigation.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
Izzy Kohout
Atlassian Team
September 28, 2022

Hi @Sau - Sandro Augusto

Thank you for your comment and sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting the burndown insight to load as expected.

This may be occurring because you have added story points to the issues *after* the issues were added to the sprint. 

Currently, the burndown insight requires the tasks to be estimated before they are added to the sprint and the sprint has started, in order to be counted accurately.

We're investigating how to improve this experience further.

aka JK March 1, 2023

HI @Izzy Kohout  - very cool feature! Since I'm looking at teams over the course of a PI, and might need to go back to previous sprint(s), is there a way to get this particular burndown insight to show that data? Or do we need rely on the burndown report within Jira for that kind of history? I'm asking as this view makes certain information so readily accessible. I'm assuming that this is built on the fly, per sprint, and not stored as a separate view elsewhere? Thanks! 

Jay Smith August 3, 2023

I just started looking into this.  I am getting "We couldn't load these details. Try refreshing and if that doesn't fix it, contact support." message.

I am wondering if it is because we are running parallel sprints.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events