Introducing Jira Smart Chips in Google Docs!

Hi Jira Community friends! Julien here from the Product Partnerships team at Atlassian. Our teams have been collaborating closely with Google Workspace and we’re thrilled to announce the integration of Jira (and Confluence) with Google Smart Chips! This integration provides an enhanced experience within Google Docs (and soon sheets and slides) so that when users paste a Jira URL, instead of displaying a long URL, users can see the issue name and additional information about the linked Jira issue such as the issue number, summary, status, priority, assignee, reporter, and when it was last updated. If you’re familiar with our Smart Links functionality, you can think of Smart Chips as the same thing, but within Google Docs.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 10.09.00 AM.png

With Smart Chips, Google Docs users now have a way to quickly understand what Jira issues are being referenced within their docs. This means that users no longer need to switch between different tools or lose their focus when reviewing Google Docs.

Setting up the integration

The first time you paste a Jira (or Confluence) link, Google will prompt you to install the Atlassian Smart Chip add-on. You can also install it directly from the Workspace Marketplace here.

image-20230816-211804.png

Don’t forget, after you have installed the integration, you will need to authorize the add-on to connect to your Confluence (and/or Jira) instance.

Using the integration

Google automatically detects if you’ve pasted a Jira or Confluence link, and prompts users to convert the URL to a Smart Chip by pressing the tab button.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Try out the new Google Smart Chip experience today! We’re looking forward to your thoughts - feel free to leave any feedback or questions in the comments section below!

6 comments

CP
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 25, 2023

This is great! thanks for this.

One request - can we get a "Smart Chip" for Status. IF you see in your above demo gif, the status is "Done" and the column next to it says "In Progress".

Like # people like this
Gal Fatal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2023

Awesome. I like it. I would love to see also Trello links inside.

Like # people like this
Nijat Behbudov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 18, 2023

Nice! Does this work for Jira Data Center? 

Like # people like this
Joseph Galarneau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 14, 2023

Yes -- exposing other Jira metadata as chips (Status top ask, with assignee being a close second) would be helpful for instances where you want to use Google Docs to do higher-level reporting and management but want to avoid double-entering data.

Like # people like this
daniel_delpino
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 13, 2024

Progress and due date would be awesome!

Like # people like this
Daniel Bagiński
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 23, 2024

Would it be possible to introduce this feature for Google Sheets? It would be great to create project charts.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events