Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Smart Links and how to use them?

If you aren’t familiar with Atlassian’s Smart Links, there is a good chance you may already be using them. But if you’re new to Atlassian or need a deeper dive, then this overview is for you!

What are Smart Links?

Smart links are windows into your work. It allows you to surface work in one tool when it lives in another. When you paste a page, project board, list, timeline, form, or calendar link into another Atlassian product, a Smart Link will display up-to-date information. Copy any url from Confluence, Jira, Atlas, Trello, or another third-party tool (like Google docs, Miro, Figma, etc.) and paste it where you want that information to live. The link will allow you to preview the page, embed the page directly, or edit it directly. Link Atlas tickets, Trello boards, Jira projects, or Confluence pages with a simple copy and paste.

Smartlinks_gif_small.gif

Different views

Smart Links give the user the ability to choose different views of how they want the link to show up and can be changed through the drop down menu. These include:

image-20230505-213941.png

Inline view

The most popular Smart Link, these are rendered inline, and surface the least amount of context. Instead of a URL, it will render as an inline Smart Link with your project name.

Card view

Card Smart Links provides slightly more context by surfacing a preview of the content, the business project name, including summaries and actions.

Embed view

Embedded Smart Links allow you to view pages, boards, lists, timelines, or calendar view in other Atlassian products without them having to leave the page. Read and edit a Google Drive document, manipulate your Figma file and more, all within your current page.

Taking Smart Links to the next level

Did you know that you could nest your Smart Links? In this example below, a Confluence page is opened from a Jira Work Management task that is opened from a Trello board. This person can make edits to the Confluence page all without leaving their current Trello tab.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 14.18.30 (2).png

What’s next?

Smart Links are continuously evolving and work with over 30 of your favorite tools like Google docs, Figma, Github, Dropbox and more. Let us know in the comments below what your favorite Smart Link feature is and what features you want to see come next!

8 comments

Stephanie Simons May 8, 2023

I love this feature. It is so helpful to be able to lead coworkers to all the great content we have around each project.

Like Emilee likes this
Emilee
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 12, 2023

So glad you find them so useful @Stephanie Simons . The team is working on the next iterations of Smart Links and we're all ears if there are use cases you want us to look at. 

Mary Agueros July 11, 2023

Smart Links have been useful when I do not have time to transition the information from various Google Doc, usually located across multiple folders and owners,  into a Confluence article. Until the consolidation of the information can be completed  into an article, my team can find various links in one central location.

Like Emilee likes this
Emilee
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 11, 2023

@Mary Agueros Exactly! I'm doing it now to make it easy to find and track a large google sheet. I can quickly look at the embedded file without going too deep. 

Tasha Turner July 27, 2023

We have employees that work out of Trello, but have the permission of internal customers in a Jira Service Management project, and would like to create Smart Links on their Trello cards to track issues they've created/submitted.  Will this be possible in the future?

Juho Korhonen August 24, 2023

I still don't understand how this works (in Trello). I tried editing a card by pasting a link to it, but nothing happens. I find that adding links as attachments to cards is clunky, and it doesn't show any kind of preview.

Not necessarily related to this, but a better integration with Google Keep would also be nice in general.

image.png

Like Kevin Crosby likes this
Emilee
Community Manager
August 24, 2023

@Juho Korhonen In order for it to appear as a linked card you can't add the title first. See how I do it in this quick video for that same link. Trello_link_card.gif

This isn't quite a smartlink feature but more of a what we call a link card. If you copy and paste a link to a Confluence page or a Jira issue, that will appear in the same way and you can view the linked page directly in Trello. 

Also sorry for the annoying grammarly button. I swear it's trying to be in my way. 

Nikki Stephens October 6, 2023

I love the inline and card features! It makes for a much cleaner page! We use Embed with Gsuite and it's so efficient. 

I am curious if there is any plan to add additional supported platforms. Specifically, it would be fantastic to have one for Looker.  I know there are third-party apps to do this, but as my company does not permit connecting Looker to those apps for data security reasons- it would need to be a built-in functionality. 

Even if the link could only convert to an Inline, or Card, and not Embed, rather than a basic link that would be much better looking than adding a Looker emoji and a link each time for page continuity.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events