Introducing Advanced Roadmaps

114 comments

Paul.Coker June 17, 2020

Just upgraded to advanced roadmaps and I would like to update the start and due date for multiple epics, issues and sub-task at the same time. Please advise how to do this. 

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2020

@jhanson & @Chad Lowers ,

Make sure to add a vote and Keep an eye on the following feature request for Advanced Roadmaps + Next-Gen compatibility:

Deleted user June 19, 2020

Hello, I have updated the plan to premium (trial) but I cannot see the advanced roadmap function on my classic project setting.

Can you please clarify? Have spent a good hour trying to figure this out, frustrating.

Here are the screenshots of the project settings and details. 

Please help :)

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 17.18.15.pngScreenshot 2020-06-19 at 17.17.45.png

hadar.harari June 22, 2020

We are considering to implement the advance roadmap in our R&D teams. we have no experience with this feature (not roadmap/ advanced roadmap) , will super appreciate your advice on what will be the best way to do that, any good demos, tutorials, experience that someone can share will be great :) 

hadar.harari June 22, 2020

Hi, 

few very specific:) Qs: 

1. how do I update each squad team capacity 

2. can we see entire Squad team planned velocity = (num of story points in Sprint) / (team Sprint capacity) 

3. our team estimate in Story level and tha "break" the story to sub tasks and provide per each sub task est, does the plan estimation aggregate from lower level to high? for example , is I have story with estimation of 4d and it is include 2 sub tasks , sub task A - 1 d , sub task B -2 d --- what will be the total estimation calculation? 

Kasey Barreras June 22, 2020

Can someone from Atlassian contact me regarding training for Advanced Roadmap?

My Contact information - Kasey_barreras@drivosity.com 

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2020

@hadar.harari We are working on creating more onboarding materials for Advanced Roadmaps so stay tuned. We put together a couple tips on getting started here. And our Product Manager does a great Advanced Roadmaps demo in our recent webinar. 

@Kasey Barreras We're putting together more training soon so please stay tuned :)! 

NAYANA June 22, 2020

Some features our team is looking for:

•  strong dependency visualization between the issues pulled into the scope of a plan. Like a dependency tree or map that shows link crawling. Expect to see internal as well external (scope) dependencies if the an issue is within the plan/ This is an essential view for effective planning.
  • Synchronized plan views as multiple users are making changes during a planning session
  • capacity planning and visualization of multiple teams
Channing Childs June 23, 2020

@Pete Morris How can I create an estimate (that shows on a the advanced roadmap field column) while creating the ticket? It looks like story points links to estimates? Which is confusing when using kanban and looking for an estimated field in the ticket vs story points. 

What about original estimates? I see this as a field in my tickets but not as a field I can add to the advanced roadmap view

Sonia BOULAABA June 30, 2020

hi, how could i have the trial advanced roadmap? i have a premium plan JIRA software Cloud but can't find this. Thank you

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
June 30, 2020

Hi @Sonia BOULAABAIf you have Jira Software Premium you can find all the Advanced Roadmaps features under the plans tab in your Jira top navigation. I hope that helps! 

Sonia BOULAABA June 30, 2020

I finally find it in the top bar :D thank you so much

Larry Heminger July 14, 2020

@Josh Frank @Matt Lawrence I like what I see in the new Advanced Roadmaps, however, I have most of my projects using Next Gen at this point.  I'd really like to see Advanced Roadmaps be able to support both project types soon as possible!  The NextGen projects are so much easier to setup and manage compared to classic projects.  Honestly, the ONLY reason I'm using classic projects at this point is to leverage the advanced roadmap features.  I absolutely do not want to put in the effort to migrate my NextGen projects to Classis, so please hurry!  I need support for both classic and nextgen projects!

Chad Lowers July 14, 2020

@Larry Heminger I am in the exact same position. I have been building customer projects that require cross team collaboration as classic projects to leverage advanced roadmaps, while our individual teams are working in their own next-gen projects. Really hoping for next-gen support for advanced roadmaps soon! 

swagner July 22, 2020

@Josh Frank @Matt Lawrence

Please point me towards info about how prioritization works in Advanced Roadmaps?  My Premium free trial ends in 9 days.  We are making a tool decision in 7 days.

This article speaks high-level of some aspects, in bold italics below the link.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/discovering-advanced-roadmaps-998650908.html

Forecast

Auto-schedule issues to create a realistic schedule. To create this schedule, multiple variables are considered, including backlog priority, estimates, and dependencies — to generate a plan in a matter of seconds.

Adapt

Make fast prioritization and trade-off decisions, and instantly see the impact of such in your plan, so you can answer 'what-if' questions.

Track

Set business goals and track progress to make sure the team is indeed executing on strategy, with everyone aligned to the same priorities.

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2020

Hey @swagner - Prioritisation is a bit of a loose concept and every company does things a little differently, so we've tried to keep Advanced Roadmaps flexible. Here are a few of ways that it can help:

1. Use of Jira rank - By default, plans are sorted by Jira's "issue rank" (lexorank). Dragging and dropping issues on the plan amongst their siblings will re-rank them. This is the same rank that is used on the board, backlog, and elsewhere in Jira. This rank is also used in the auto-scheduler (amongst other things) to determine the order of scheduled work.

2. Hierarchy - One of the biggest strengths but also biggest challenges of Agile is that it encourages autonomous teams. Without a clear strategy and direction, many companies find teams working on initiatives that do not meaningfully drive their company-level goals. Hierarchy is one way to help teams prioritise; by exposing company-level programs of work in Advanced Roadmaps, teams can then clearly derive their work from these. Work that doesn't align with higher level initiatives can be de-prioritised.

3. Dependencies - Some dependency heavy companies find the visualisation of dependencies to be a critical step in prioritising their plans. Advanced Roadmaps can help you understand which pieces of work need to come first by showing lead time on dependent issues.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to reply with any questions.

swagner July 22, 2020

duplicate, removed.

swagner July 22, 2020

@Pete Morris Thanks, that helps.  Makes sense to use same ranking.

Could you please elaborate on the method, ability to answer what-if questions quickly?

It would be great to generate priority in addition to tracking priority.  Is there scorecard functionality available to enable auto or semi-auto rank-ordering, prioritisation?

What is the quickest way to load a PoC model plan for a greenfield re-write of a complex, highly flexible, configurable, with many layers o functionality and "ecosystem" integrations and dependencies?

Thanks,

Scott

swagner July 24, 2020

@Pete Morris @Josh Frank @Matt Lawrence

Could I please get feedback asap on last questions?  My free trial is ending soon and we are making a tool decision this week, Advanced Roadmaps, Aha!, or ProductBoard.

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2020

Apologies for the delayed reply, @swagner

What if questions can be entertained by enabling scenarios in your plan. These give you a couple of different "cases" based on the same underlying data where changes are isolated to each scenario until you commit them. You can learn more about scenarios here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/scenarios-998651051.html

As for loading a plan, we've just launched a few getting started videos that might help you. You can find them here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/3-short-videos-to-help-you-get-started-with-Advanced-Roadmaps/ba-p/1439078

swagner July 29, 2020

@Pete Morris  Our Premium free trial for Advanced Maps is expiring July 31, and we are just launching a large, new, greenfield program.  So we have more context to apply to our trial/PoC.

Could we please get a trial extension for two more weeks?  Since our tool selection criteria has drastically changed, and we need more time to evaluate.  Otherwise we have to make a rush decision in 2 days.

Thanks,

Scott

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
July 30, 2020

@swagner Please contact our support team for a trial extension here: https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact/product-evaluator-advice

Alex Radnaev July 31, 2020

This is great. Where can I learn more about the mentioned "Capacity planning"? Particularly, is there a way to allocated individual's bandwidth vs time in different projects?

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2020

@Alex Radnaev We just added this new page with short video tips on getting started with various parts of Advanced Roadmaps, including capacity planning. Check it out. If you have any questions on getting started with capacity planning (after watching the video), feel free to leave a comment on that page. 

Alex Radnaev July 31, 2020

thanks, @Josh Frank 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events