Introducing Advanced Roadmaps

114 comments

Kris Schoen May 21, 2020

@John_Kaczala if you look in the lower left hand side of your screen (in the side panel) while in one of your projects, it should say which type of project you are using. 

Beau Simensen May 21, 2020

@Pete Morris I tried to add "group by sprint" and "show capacity on the timeline" but it didn't change the view a whole lot. I suspect I might need to click "Auto-Schedule" it that seems a little more intense than what was happening before.

With the old product, if I calculated, it would just arrange things as a best guess to show me when things would get done and create faux sprints. These sprints didn't actually get created and the issues in the faux sprints were never actually created (at least that's how I used it).

This wording makes me think if I go ahead and click through with "Auto-Schedule", it is going to create these sprints and actually set the estimates it calculates in the actual issues themselves.

"This will automatically set dates, sprints, releases and teams for all estimated issues in this plan."

Am I reading it right? Or would it set the dates, sprints, releases, and teams "virtually" – only as far as the plan is concerned – or will it actually create a bunch of sprints for me and assign *right now* everything to a sprint on its own?

I was using this feature previously to keep an eye on expected delivery date based on backlog. I was still manually creating and managing the sprints myself in the backlog.

It was nice because I was still only having one or two sprints open at a time. One active and maybe one to prepare for the next sprint. I never paid any attention at all to which items the old tool was putting into each sprint. I was only using (and paying for) the old software so that I could have an idea on the target delivery based on estimated availability or velocity for the team.

It *seems* like the new software is requiring me to actually set estimates on things in order to visualize when things will be done. It *seems* like "Auto-Schedule" will just do that for me. But, if that's true, it's going to mean this whole feature of planning is not something I'll be able to use anymore.

Nik Lewis May 21, 2020

The Ranking system is really confusing.. you prioritise the Epic parents by selecting a view above epic and moving them around.
When you then change the view to the Epic level, then the order of the Epics are completely different from what you just saw.

How do you control the order that the teams should be using for completing Epics in their projects?

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2020

Hi @Beau Simensen - Ah I see what you're asking for. Auto-schedule is what you're after. It won't automatically create sprints, it will use those that already exist in your backlog or it will project sprints based on your existing sprint cadence (similar to the previous interface). One area where it does differ is around "default estimates" - if an issue is not estimated then it will not be scheduled. You can address this by either manually estimating each issue, bulk editing a group of issues, or using our Jira automation features to set a story point estimate when you create/edit the issue (which should give you a lot more flexibility about which issues end up with which story points).

You can preview the results of the auto-schedule before applying it, so it should be a fairly painless experiment. If you're still cautious about changing your plan you could try creating a new scenario before trying the auto-scheduler.

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2020

Hi @Nik Lewis - You can find more information about how ranking works in the new interface here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/ranking-issues-998651238.html . We received quite a lot of feedback about ranking in earlier versions of P4J and how it could disrupt the team's backlog. We hope that the new way is less disruptive, even though it may take some getting used to. Please let me know if I can help you in any other way.

Kevin Davison May 21, 2020

For small teams, this is a big jump from $10.98/mo to $120/mo just to get a proper roadmapping tool in Jira next-gen.

Marcus Presser May 21, 2020

Hi there, will you be publishing a recording of the webinar on advanced roadmaps? I'm keen to share this info.

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
May 21, 2020

@Marcus Presser Yes we will share out a recording of the webinar soon. Thanks for joining! 

Deleted user May 22, 2020

Can't add all issues inside the epic. 

We've created Plan, selected EPIC, but not all issues inside this epic are shown on Roadmap board. If we open this EPIC as separate page it show us all issues we've added to it. But on Roadmap board now all stories and tasks are shown

Vincent Lee May 24, 2020

I hope Atlassian management would to the voices of Jira's users , because the pricing model just makes it prohibitive for large scale usage of jira. Most of the users in the company are just basic users, only a handful will be using certain features like RoadMap, it doesn't make sense to double up the pricing for everyone, just to use the Roadmap or Advanced Roadmap. After all, isn't Gantt Chart , Resource Planning etc the whole point for using an issue tracker and project management applications? (I would consider this as  basic requirements). 

In the past, Atlassian has been listening to the customers, by creating the Jira Service Desks, and changing its pricing model to be charging the "service desk agents" only. Perhaps, Atlassian could consider doing the same for Advanced Roadmap?

Nik Lewis May 24, 2020

@Pete Morris .. we want to control the flow of the Epics to the team projects. e.g.  Right now we want the team to work on Epic A,B,C,D in that order... based on the order of the parent Initiative 

Initiative 1

• Epic A
  • Epic B

Initiative 2

• Epic C
  • Epic D

If the PO's move Initiative 2 to be the top priority, they want the team to automatically have their Epic priority re-ranked, so that they are now working on Epics C,D,A,B in that order.. 
The PO's don't want to touch the Epics - in fact they don't even want to know about them. 

Do you have a solution for that? We basically want the ranking of the Epic also updated.

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2020

Hi @[deleted] - Could you check your plan's issue sources to see if some of the stories under the epic are not captured here? Perhaps those stories reside in a different project or board?

Hey @Nik Lewis - You could use the "Select only descendants" from the "..." menu on the issue name of your initiative, then use the "Bulk actions" to change the rank above the the top-most epic in the initiative you wish to rank above. In your example you would click "..." on Initiative 2, then "Select only descendants", then "Bulk actions", then "Rank", then "Above issue", then "Epic A". We'll stay close to user feedback on this one to see if we need to iterate on drag and drop ranking behaviour.

Nik Lewis May 25, 2020

@Pete Morris .. technically that works - yes. However, viewing the Plan from "Initiative" hierarchy view does not reflect this change - the parent and children stay where they are on the hierarchy. You would need to switch to Epic view to see the new Epic ranking.. and this view is now out of context from the Parent POV. 

It would be great if there was a Checkbox or something where we could specify that we want the Child rankings to move with respect to the ranking of their parent.

Michael Spence May 26, 2020

Is there a list of all what is customisable in this add-on? Can I edit the hierarchy relationships? Can I link from a Feature to a Defect/Bug etc..?

Kari Larsen May 26, 2020

Where can we get more information on training/classes/webinars?

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
May 26, 2020

@Kari Larsen We did an overview webinar about roadmaps & Advanced Roadmaps in Jira Software recently. Stayed tuned for more training and webinars to come.

Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 28, 2020

How can I even Premium? I have multiply cloud instances as a vendor, and when I click on try Premium or Advanced Roadmaps here's what I see: 
Source if needed: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xfbp5puactla3lh/shot_200528_155150.png

So I simply can't change the site to a different one. What should I do? 

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2020

@Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_ If you want to start a brand new site, you would click the blue link below the "your site" field that says "Start a new site." If you want to start a trial for one of your existing sites you would need to go into your settings and click billing → manage subscriptions → change plans. When you click to upgrade your plan, you are starting a 30 day+ trial. Hope that helps! 

Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 28, 2020

Wow... that is really deep =) it worked, thank you. But it would be so much better to have an option of selecting site in the popup I've shown in the previous message.

Another question, if it's ok to ask here:
shot_200528_164046
I don't quite get this Progress thing. It should be either 33% done or 50%, but now it's 0. How can I make it work?

Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
May 28, 2020

Hi @Dmitry Astapkovich _Colined_ - that's.... not right. We can't seem to reproduce this behaviour internally so it might be something specific to your setup (either statuses/status categories or workflow). It should be showing 1 issue Done and 1 issue in To do. Perhaps try it with a fresh project and if that still doesn't work, please raise a support ticket and we'll get to the bottom of it together.

Linh Luke May 31, 2020

Double price for a new feature. You must be kidding.

Not worth it.

Alex June 4, 2020

Hi Atlassian

Any news on when roadmaps will be available on classic projects?

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2020

Great feature!

Chad Lowers June 10, 2020

Very disappointed to see the advanced roadmapping features do not support next-gen boards.

Our instance is structured by teams, all using next-gen projects. They maintain their own internal development roadmaps in their individual spaces, but we need better cross team planning for customer integration projects. That's where this advanced feature would really help us out. 

If we migrate to classic projects for all of their boards, they will lose the ability to maintain their own internal development roadmap within Jira for the tradeoff of program level roadmaps. Not great considering next-gen project support for advanced roadmaps might be coming and then all the migration effort was for nothing. 

Could someone explain the logic for rolling this out without next-gen project support and also a timeline on supporting advanced roadmaps for next-gen projects? 

jhanson June 16, 2020

When will advanced roadmaps be available on next-gen projects?

Also, is it possible to use Advanced Roadmaps on a classic project intended to display a consolidated view of interdependencies between several next-gen projects?   Said another way,  can you display tasks/issues/epics/teams from next-gen projects on the advanced roadmap of a classic project?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events