Introducing Advanced Roadmaps

114 comments

Jim Shelby May 19, 2020

This pricing model is a showstopper for startups with low, no revenue.   We really only need a handful of our users to have access, and most specifically just application team leaders.  A per person model only makes sense if it can be limited to a group vs all users.   I would be willing to pay more for 5 of us, not 40.  

Fritz Brand May 19, 2020

Sigh, and here I was waiting for the release of Roadmaps to classic projects, so I can have more of a leg to stand on when I defend our Jira & Confluence spend to most people at work.  Was hoping for that "See, I told you they will bring out awesome stuff again" moment

Now not only do we need to buy extra plugins and spend time writing scripts to do things that quite honestly should be offered as part of the core product (at the pricepoint and silly "even if only one user needs a plugin, we are gonna charge you for all of them" model), now you come at us with this?  Oooh we are releasing Roadmaps! Innovation! (But yea we are gonna force you to pay twice what you used to (without making it clear that a more lightweight version is on the way for Classic)

You guys are really making it hard to stay with you. Plenty of competitors have popped up, you are not the only 1 of the 3 fish in the pond anymore.  The software world is also changing fast, with simplicity being key, and while I appreciate the potential power Jira has under the hood, that potential power means nothing if it is hidden behind layers of costs and complexity.

If you keep making us pay extra for everything (and only give us free UI upgrades we didn't ask for) you will outprice yourself for most organizations, and probably end up with old boring corporate dinosaur customers that just buy your product because they "trust" the "Big name brands".   IBM ring a bell?  All hype and marketing, less and less value. 

I have been defending you guys for a long time, and to be honest, would shake my head at people making comments like this in the past, as I understand the product can't be everything for everyone, and no model will work for everyone, but I just don't see how I can continue to defend you. 

I see "project archiving" is also "coming soon" to premium.  This is yet another feature that one would sort of assume is part of the deal, but like I recently experienced when I accidentally deleted the wrong project on our cloud instance, you can only restore the ENTIRE instance or nothing at all, no way to get our data back, apart from losing 2 days worth of data on all our projects if we restore the entire instance.  In my opinion, this is a really crappy backup solution in this day and age.  Part of the reason we chose cloud was to relieve us from the hassle of managing our own backups and upgrades etc, and "leave that to the pros", only to find out the pros didn't really have it covered, and will now ask us to pay double to get this "new feature".

You can put as much lipstick on a pig as you want, it ain't gonna sell at unicorn prices forever before the market catches on.

I would urge you to reconsider this "premium" approach, but I'm not gonna waste my time, as I highly doubt you would listen.  The big behemoth you have become moves slowly, and doesn't make sharp turns.  That's fine, you do you boo, just don't be surprised when you find yourself without the administrators, fans, and supporters you had that played a big part in your success.  Good luck trying to sell Jira to the business people, without the support of the IT department

Yann Lair May 19, 2020

I like the functionality, it's a natural addition to be able to plan better ahead what's coming. 

BUT this "premium" pricing model is killing it in the egg. Forcing people to go premium to get a tool that everybody needs for proper planning is just bad. Is it what we have to expect moving forward? Only the companies with the deepest pockets can benefit from latest innovations? As the admin and a senior dev, I cannot vouch for you anymore. The pricing model for addons was sort of a scam already (pricing for all the users when only a 1 or 2 person needs a functionality), but this goes goes way beyond.

It's the firs time I'm actually feeling pushed away from Jira and it's a shame that's because of a pricing mechanism. Atlassian, the new electronic Arts of cloud software? 

Matt Lawrence
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2020

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the candid feedback on pricing. We are listening and take your feedback to heart.

We are continuing to invest and build new capabilities for our Free and Standard plans. For example, we are building Roadmaps into Classic projects for both Free and Standard plans for all customers in the coming months. You will not have to purchase Premium to use Roadmaps!

There are a lot of powerful capabilities in Roadmaps. One example is the Confluence macro where you can embed multiple live roadmaps into a single Confluence page, which is a great entry point for getting a cross-team view of all the work your teams are doing. 

As mentioned in the post above, for Advanced Roadmaps we took an app from our marketplace, Portfolio for Jira (that was always an incremental cost) and did a major refresh, improving its capabilities and building it natively into Jira Software Cloud. For these types of advanced features, we’re hoping we can reach more customers by bringing the features closer to Jira Software and including them in our Premium offering (rather than keeping them as a paid standalone app).

Again, we do appreciate the feedback and hope you will be excited by the Roadmaps offering we’re bringing into our Free and Standard plans.

Thanks,

Matt

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2020

@Fritz Brand Sorry if we didn’t live up to your expectations here. One thing I wanted to address is that we’ll be fixing the issue you mentioned so no one will ever accidentally delete a Jira project again. We’ll be introducing a 'project trash can' very soon, available to all Jira customers, so any project you delete will go to the ‘trash’ for a 60-day holding period (whereas project archiving will be for indefinitely archiving older Jira projects).

Yann Lair May 19, 2020

@Matt Lawrence I'm not excited to be part of the standard paying leftovers I'm afraid. I'm not looking forward to have the rich benefit from all the innovations while we wait for the scraps either.

Not so long ago, every addons you've purchased and included as part of the Jira standard were available to everyone. The fact that you chose to deviate from that and create second class paying customers is not a good thing. 

Rebecca Meli May 19, 2020

It's great but cannot justify the double-spend when only a few people use roadmaps.  It would be great if it could have been a separate upgrade and not upgrading everything. Also tend to agree with other comments, your pricing model isn't the greatest.  

Phil Merricks May 19, 2020

Why is Access not a part of Premium?

Stephan Grubbe Sølby May 19, 2020

I support what others are saying above. Atlassian products are increasingly not competitive on functionality vs price. It's becoming harder and harder to justify Atlassian as a platform within my organization. Atlassian used to be all about focusing on its users and customers. Now this focus has vanished all together. 

Bjoern Veith May 19, 2020

I find it amazing to fell this positiv energy here in the comments. There i not really a single comment on the functions itself, because I currently try to find the difference to the good old Portfolio for jira.

Everybody complaining about the pricing model. Yes, I guess everybody working in the eco system knows the pricing model for base application and addons is not in favour of the user, rather in favour of the 3rd party developers. But I really think this is here not the right place here. 

Nevertheless, @Fritz Brand  I'm curious to get some examples of other alternative applications. Which could cover the scopes of Jira and confluence on the same level. Don't take it offensive, but I checked several alternatives, their functions and pricing model and I currently don't see really valid alternatives.

I further had contact to several companies starting out on alternatives and now want to migrate into the Atlassian eco system. 

What puzzles me as well, is what are the expected cost per user here? I worked in big enterprises and small start ups and when I compare the TCO for Atlassian jira / confluence vs the alternatives we have to do the same job, Atlassians always wins. 

@Matt Lawrence , Did you see my post about the German translations. You guys need to work on that. They are fully out of context -> Already in the main navigation menu. The English wording say's "Plans", in German you have "Tarife" . "Tarife" means in englisch "rates".  "Plans" translated to German is "Pläne".

As state before, shout out to us if you need support here. I constantly need to defend/explain the German translations to our clients. There are several ones we find out of context and would love to change them in the OOTB. 

cheers and at all -Y  keep the positive vibe :-)

Alex Duzsardi May 20, 2020

Same shitty (can't find a better word) pricing plans all over the internet with these "Cloud" SaaS/PaaS applications.

The more of these you use at a daily basis and look at their pricing models the clearer it is that all they care about is the money and the users/community using their product are just cash cows nothing more.

Usually they offer some basic plan (all atlassian products do this, but there are plenty more out there) to get you going , once there... you just realize that you need a feature that you would use once or twice , or only for one person in your Org. , that feature is available but in a way higher pricing plan , and you have to upgrade to that plan all your organization if you want to use the feature in question.

What a truly shitty way to lure people in paying high prices for something that should be available in all plans from the start

I wonder what would happen , or who will go first for having one feature set and one price for their software so you can clearly know right away if you can afford it or not , and not having to always think about , oh what if i need a feature that is available only in double/triple pricing plans.

Also the plugins/addons type of extra features is a scam and it will always be so in my point of view.

All of these pricing plans and feature sets bring is frustration to most of their respective communities i would say

And that concludes my rant , not about Advanced Roadmaps but everything related to this scheme of pricing vs features

Melvin Isken May 20, 2020

I agree to most comments made above.

One statement at the beginning of the post made my day: "18 months ago we launched roadmaps in Jira Software Cloud next-gen projects. The feature has been a hit, becoming one of our fastest adopted features of all time. Since then, we’ve received a lot of passionate feedback from customers on how we should evolve our roadmaps offering."

To translate this: "We introduced a feature, got a lot of feedback why it was not really usable, and it took 18 month to deliver an update." So I guess, introduction of advanced roadmaps into classic projects will be the "next big thing" in 2021 or 2022.

Graham Robertson May 20, 2020

@Matt Lawrence . I have used Portfolio for Jira for a long time. However, in the last year I moved company. They have 2000 Jira licenses but my department has only 200. I tried to get Portfolio but had to finally give up because I would have to pay for 2000 licenses. Now, you have doubled the price for the product. So everyone is right, the pricing model is awful. The whole point in a subscription model is that you keep getting revenue and we keep getting features. But you are using this revenue from basic subscriptions to build features for your new first class citizens. But bigger than this is that roadmaps for Jira just isn't that good. It does have massive potential, but it needs feedback from the whole community so that you can refine it to the point where it would be worth the money. To take a product that needs a lot a of work to be great and then cripple it to give it for free in the basic version is not going to encourage anyone to upgrade it. Sorry but you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Mariska May 20, 2020

We have been looking for a portfolio roadmap tool, but having to upgrade over 200 users to have 20 people using roadmaps is not feasible. We also need to remember that with Covid 19 - having to pay in another currency and exchange rates being what it is - the Atlassian suit is already expensive. On top of this we have already moved some teams to nextgen boards to be able to use the roadmaps atleast at a team level and now @Mark Bretl reports it doesn't work for nextgen - so why would we consider using this. Atlassian needs to do better with their solution offering.

Drew Heasman May 20, 2020

@Josh Frank @Matt Lawrence - please can you clarify when the basic roadmap feature is going to be available for Classic projects?

I think most of us would have expected this to be implemented first, then the additional features of Advanced Roadmap made available later.

Donovan White May 20, 2020

Is there a plan for integrating Next-Gen projects with Advanced Roadmaps?

A schedule? 

Chase May 20, 2020

Please go vote for basic roadmap access for classic projects here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17214?_ga=2.247298818.741938115.1589979369-1959965208.1565106160&error=login_required&error_description=Login+required&state=c0ddab12-f902-4b0f-8505-fbcd966e54db

the vote button is on the right-hand side. It takes 30 seconds... 

Peg Schafer May 20, 2020

Dear Folks,

I understand the difficulty in developing so many products simultaneously and getting them to all work together.  For that reason, I will understand the time it takes for the design, development, QA, customer evaluation, etc. etc...   and it must be expensive...  However, my company will never ever pay for Premium.  It was unlikely before covid and now they are guarding their resources even more.

We have moved to the cloud, but ya know, the developers were happy with the old out-dated local server.   Most of the complaints I get from my users are about the newest innovations.

Atlassian has given us 3 months of Premium for free, but I am considering down grading so my users will not have to undergo any further changes.   I was excited about the possibility of providing my execs with improved planning capabilities, but sadly the cost of Premium will prevent it.

On the whole we love jira and confluence.   

Have a lovely day,

--Peg

Beau Simensen May 20, 2020

Pretty much the only reason I was using and paying for the old planning tool was for this one specific view. It showed me general delivery date based on projected virtual sprints. It was super valuable and the only part of this tool I was actually using.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 08.13.31.png

I tried switching to the new "improved" interface and promptly *lost* any ability to see this view. Is it hidden somewhere, or is it gone entirely?

What is the closest thing in the new planning tool to an automatically generated list of hypothetical sprints like this?

Alex Duzsardi May 20, 2020

@Chase 

i did , but that won't matter much i think, the big bucks are coming from large corporations that are basically locked in because they have a lot of "baggage" and it would be a pain to move to something else.

is there an issue to vote for where the subject is , how crappy is their pricing model (again, not only for atlassian products) ?

johnny wyatt May 20, 2020

Wow. I like the feature, even though it looks alot like a Gantt chart. Unfortunately it's not worth paying extra.

Ken Stewart May 20, 2020

Hearing that roadmaps are coming to classic projects is exciting! Alternately, if custom workflows were supported in NextGen projects that would be awesome as well. That seems to be one of the major blockers from us moving to NextGen.

Sreenath H B May 20, 2020

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this feeling that why is this only for the Premium plan subscribers? I've had to move an entire team over to Asana just because our management wanted Roadmaps for better visibility. Also glad to know that I'm not the only one peeved at the cost of plugins that are used by only a couple of guys in Management on one Project but have to pay for it for every user we have on the account. Anyway, it's Atlassian's loss IMO by not rolling out Roadmaps to everyone which should have been a base/core feature in the product.

Eoghan Murphy May 20, 2020

Are you hearing the feedback that you need to implement a model whereby additions above standard can be limited to a subset of users on the account who actually use them?

Like Michael Hartmann likes this
Pete Morris
Atlassian Team
May 20, 2020

Hey @Beau Simensen - thanks for giving the new interface a go. The view you're after is no longer a separate one, but has been built straight into the timeline. If you're using boards as your issue sources (to gain access to sprints) then you can enable it by going to "View settings", grouping by either team or sprint, and then checking the "Show capacity on the timeline" box.

We have a new feature coming soon that will allow you to save your view settings so that you can refer back to (and share!) this view more easily.

@Bjoern Veith - thanks for raising that. I'll pass that feedback onto the team.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events